Front wheel wobble

Via

After some ideas regarding an annoying wobble on my max 2.

Bike is 2016 and just under 2k on clock (no warranty though as not serviced by approved dealer... cost of servicing to warranty standard outweighed by just doing it myself and paying up for repairs if needed).

I get a wobble on front wheel at about 20-40mph, once faster than that it seems to ease off but around those speeds loosening grip gets a noticeable shake in the bars.

Tyre pressure is OK, as is tread (tyre still looks new). Would doubt head stem bearing would be worn at such a low mileage. Could be balance but want to rule out stuff I can check myself before putting hand in pocket.

Never been dropped and no damage.

Any advice what to look for?

Not servicing at the dealer isn't a reason to lose the warranty, especially on something that's not a consumable service part.

My guess is wheel needs balancing. Has it got any weights on the wheel that you can see? Maybe they fell off?

Has a "Must be serviced at approved dealer in accordance to service schedule" clause in warranty.

Can't see any weights on wheel nor any residue which would suggest they've fallen off (that's not to say there weren't any though). Will take it in to get checked just wanted to see if missing anything obvious first.

Very general advice, I have encountered front wheel related handling issues that are actually caused by BACK wheel issues such as worn swinging arm or wheel bearings . Cause and effect can sometimes swap places especially on bikes . Have both wheels checked for balance.

Yeah been told an under inflated rear could also cause it but rear is inflated at least... will get both checked anyway as matter of course.

To be honest I don't know if it did it from new or not as at first rode everywhere with an iron grip, but has been there since as long as I can remember.

No pulsing under braking and don't appear to be any binding on brake.

Check wheel bearings, head bearings and swing arm bearings before taking it to a mechanic........they're easy to check as long as you have a centre stand, or some other method of raising either wheel off the ground..... 8-)

Yeah been told an under inflated rear could also cause it but rear is inflated at least... will get both checked anyway as matter of course.

To be honest I don't know if it did it from new or not as at first rode everywhere with an iron grip, but has been there since as long as I can remember.

No pulsing under braking and don't appear to be any binding on brake.

On the GPX the front would "wobble " when the rear needed air. Used to run it slightly higher than book. Handled better.

Yeah my book values seem seriously low (21psi iirc) for tubed tyres, in fact last time I took it in to get HT cap changed I checked tyres before I left and when I got to bike place they looked at it as I pulled up and said tyres are way too low :roll: so run them higher now.

Yeah my book values seem seriously low (21psi iirc) for tubed tyres, in fact last time I took it in to get HT cap changed I checked tyres before I left and when I got to bike place they looked at it as I pulled up and said tyres are way too low :roll: so run them higher now.

Front 24 psi rear 32 psi

see here

http://www.motorbikespecs.net/index.dyn?flag=2&model_id=5845816&make=Sinnis

Hi, get the front wheel in the air, check the wheel and head stock bearings are ok, then spin the wheel to make sure the wheel spins true and that the tyre fitted correctly, check that the disc's are floating on there mountings and not seized, after that get the wheel balance checked. Needs doing sooner than later, a steering wobble can and will compromise the steering and stopping power of the bike.

Check the brake calliper and brake pads slide freely.

A friend had a GS1000 that wobbled bady above 60mph.

We checked the tyre for run out, wheel for balance and buckling, weel bearings for play, head bearings, all seemed OK.

It was only when we tried spinning the front wheel after another test run, we noticed a bit of drag form the brakes.

On inspection one of the pads was jammed in the calliper, we cleaned the edges up removed all the dirt and problen solved.