SV650S L2 Not starting

NooBish-AbbZ

Tried to start it and failed. I think the battery is dead because it’s been stood for 3 weeks while I’ve been at home(Bike lives at work) disconnected lights but still not starting. Ignition starts up fine and it primes, but when I press start switch it turns over but doesn’t.. ‘catch’ sorta thing. It was blown over in the wind over the 3 weeks, but I am right in thinking it’s low battery aren’t I? Or could it be something potentially caused by the topple over.

Plugged into optimiser and it’s currently showing 11.8v which I find concerning as I’d expect it to start with that much.. that said, it would explain why ignition boots without a problem but not enough to start up.

Once it starts up, I then have to take it gently a mile or so down the road to get a new rear tyre because of a puncture :(

Keep telling myself this could have happened with any bike.. :( Though it doesn't help the fact like i'm falling out of love with it recently :(

Not a good day in the slightest :( I wanted to get the puncture sorted today as it’s 9 degrees and sunny tomorrow, which would be perfect to get the new tyre scrubbed in

No idea, i just got a phone call saying it was on it's side did I want it standing up. Currently I don't have the tools at work to remove the seat, and don't have opportunity to get them from home. It's still on charge now; if it doesn't start tomorrow morning then I'll have to phone breakdown and/or go and buy a set of allen keys to keep here.

What sort of signs should i be looking for to see if the electrolyte has leaked out?

SV's are easy to bump start. Stick it in 2nd and give it a go?

If the battery is a dud it will either just not charge properly, die quickly when started, or doesn't start again even after a long ride.

If the battery is a dud it will either just not charge properly, die quickly when started, or doesn't start again even after a long ride.

Never bump started before although i think my dad has done it to mine and apparently it was difficult but managed it. Will give it a go either tomorrow morning or tonight after work....midnight or so ...

How to bump start? Put it in second,with clutch obviously pulled in, push and build up speed then release clutch and press start button at the same time?

Never bump started before although i think my dad has done it to mine and apparently it was difficult but managed it. Will give it a go either tomorrow morning or tonight after work....midnight or so ...

How to bump start? Put it in second,with clutch obviously pulled in, push and build up speed then release clutch and press start button at the same time?

Not quite, I have to do mine in 3rd but run down the road with it in gear but the clutch pulled in and when you're at around 7-8mph let the clutch out - make sure the ignition is on and the kill switch isn't flipped. Soon as it fires up I pull the clutch back in to stop it rolling away and flick it into neutral.

Had to do this a few times with mine, I once bumped it and stalled it right after and had to do it again :mrgreen:.

The method I personally use was to put it in 2nd gear, sit on the bike and paddle it along until I'm going a few mph and then start quickly letting the clutch part way out so it doesn't fully engage, but it's enough to get the engine spinning.

Pump the clutch in that fashion and work off the feel of it, the bike should spit and shudder as the engine tries to start. Once it goes pull the clutch in and let it idle in neutral for a couple of mins before riding off.

I was able to get a CBR600RR started inside about 20 feet once with a big push and a quick flutter of clutch :)

For those wondering, i had no chance of bump starting. I struggled to get any real amount of speed up due to the flat rear tyre :( Since then I've bought a new battery from halfords which having had the acid added is now charging for another 20 hours or so before i try and boot the bike up tomorrow.

A battery showing 11.8v at rest will collapse as soon as any load is put on it. They ought to show above 12.5v - it doesn't sound a lot of difference but measure the voltage when you hit the starter button. Hopefully your new battery will sort it.

Do sv's have tilt switches ?

If its been on its side it may have activated the fuel cutoff which will need resetting or replacing

Yes they do but you don't need to reset them

Well only by standing the bike up

Buy a foot pump or such like and inflate the tyre before riding please !

Will be doing :shock: The puncture is too significant to obtain full(or anywhere near) the full 36 PSI but I can get it about half inflated. The tyre shop imm taking it to is literally a mile up the road and I’ll be taking it gently to get there.