Help fried Suzuki!!!!!!!

Mcbobert

Hello all, so I asked my brother to fire up my Suzuki gsr 600 while I was away, then I got a call saying my bike won’t start.

He said my wouldn’t start so he took it up a hill like we used to with our crosser jumped on it open the clutch and tried to bump it, no help, he hooked it up to his running car and tried to jump it, he said it started went 100 yards then cut out, nothing after that locked it up then called to say it won’t start. I found a melted regulator and connection, this I replaced along with fuses, but bike is no better off, the Rev counter is stuck at 20,000 the digital dash lights up but no speedo appears, it doesn’t prime or have any attempt at turning over but the headlight and hazards work and horn, my question boys and girls is how much is my brother spending on my bike to repair it, am I right in thinking the ecu and stator need replacing as well? Please also bear in mind this bike is alarmed and immobilised. I’m guessing battery went dead and it’s fried everything trying to bump and jump start it? Thanks for any help and if anyone knows of any links that might help I’d appreciate them.

Imo your brother shouldn't be paying anything for doing you a favour.

Dont be a w**ker and take it on the chin.

If he turned the key and it never started then it was broken to begin with.

Probaly runing total loss and you had just made it home.

Just to be clear there isn’t any “your paying for it” going on, we’ve read through forums and Are of the understanding that these things where made worse through trying to start it, we agreed he didn’t need to go any further than the electric start, so he wants to replace what was working before that isn’t now, getting all upset and calling me a w**ker doesn’t have an effect on him sorting it !!!!!!!

Sounds like

A .Never attempt to start a motorbike from a running car...far too many amps flowing about

B. Sounds like he got negative and positive mixed up the wrong way ..

Fault find piece by piece is only way to see .

Start at battery and work from there testing each relative component ..

Check fuses for burning dodgy contact etc

But at a pinch

Battery

, reg rec, ecu/cdi, dash, are all fooked ..if it has a circuit board in it its fecked

Is it worth selling for parts?

Maybe. Best to search eBay 'sold items' to get an idea if it is worth doing, because stripping a bike down to sell is less than fun. I know because I have done it many times.

It sounds like too many amps pumped through the wiring, maybe blowing several things out. Get the multimeter out and check the reg/rec, ECU, and maybe try another battery, if you have one. Check all wiring and fuses for burns, check reg/rec for resistance, (youtube), and work out how much parts are, and how long you'll spend on replacing them, vs stripping it and selling it. Many things to do.

As for your brother; no idea what he did or didn't do, but that's up to you.

What did anyone need to start it for anyway ? I park my GSXR up in September and start it up again in April. The last battery lasted 7 years . I would be interested to know what people believe the benefits, if any , of periodically starting bikes that are off road for the winter to actually be.

What did anyone need to start it for anyway ? I park my GSXR up in September and start it up again in April. The last battery lasted 7 years . I would be interested to know what people believe the benefits, if any , of periodically starting bikes that are off road for the winter to actually be.

My bike gets ridden all winter but my 1971 Viva doesn't go out during the winter. I just overinflate the tyres, run the fuel down so it's not full of old petrol, put the battery on maintenance charge. In the spring I just prime the fuel pump and crank it for a while with no sparks to get oil round the engine.

Not much to be gained by running the engine periodically unless it's being driven.

Just to be clear, when I say park my bike in September I do mean in a warm dry garage. Apart from that though, that's it . No maintenance chargers , no fuel stabilizers , nothing, I just take the key out and leave it alone. Come April I just wheel it out , set the tap to prime for 30 seconds press the button and away you go. I've never had an issue and as I say 7 years is not bad for a battery. I usually go for a ride straight away for 20 miles or so just to top up the battery. This spring I might check the battery beforehand.What am I checking by the way ? Amps or volts ?

My bike gets ridden all winter but my 1971 Viva doesn't go out during the winter. I just overinflate the tyres, run the fuel down so it's not full of old petrol, put the battery on maintenance charge. In the spring I just prime the fuel pump and crank it for a while with no sparks to get oil round the engine.

Not much to be gained by running the engine periodically unless it's being driven.

what model Viva do you have ? My dad had a Viva SL in maroon .