XJ900S

Mikew

Can anyone help, trying to get an XJ900S working that is getting refurbished and not sure which colour of wires to connect to the coils from the loom just to confirm as I can't get it to turn over, pictures would be great.

Thanks

I did google it and came across the Forum, I have a manual and have done what I can but I'm not an auto electrician, that's why I asked for help, if you can't help I am not too sure why you replied.

Cheers.

some people aren't electrically minded a bit of helpful walkthrough advice from people who are is always nice to have rather than worrying you're going to make it worse.

just because you can read an electrical diagram and wire an entire bike doesn't mean everyone else can

We get a lot of requests for help from people that can't Google. There's a wiring diagram in the manual.

If you know this then presumably you have the manual or know the answer so why not help him out by giving him the answer instead of pushing him away from the forum!!!

He has already googled it and it brought him here which is good for the forum! there is no need to be all arsey and chase new members away

Ok , got it . It's red and white to each coil and it's orange to the coil that goes to plugs 1 and 4 and grey to the coil that goes to plugs 2 and 3 . This is taken from the wiring diagram in the Owners handbook rather than the Workshop Manual. I've just noticed that the picture is xj 600. There's a good chance it's the same

wp_ss_20180217_0003.thumb.png.558e9e8486eb8a3389fc2c2ef65dc24a.png

Hi and thanks, I am rebuilding the XJ900S, its not at my home its at a friends house(small farm) its been stored there for quite a while, working on it when time allows, totally stripped down and powder coated the frame(different colour to the original) almost there but the wiring is the problem for me, will be going back to his place on Tuesday so will try what you have suggested and get back to you.

Thanks for your help.

1046552844_XJ900SConversion.thumb.jpg.f8db20d8fe5a04e279d046d15a14e514.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thanks for all the advice. Ok I have the wiring to the coils done but when I press the starter button but nothing happens, when I first started the project I replaced the wiring loom as the original had seen better days, could it be that the switch that goes to the stand is causing the problem and needs disconnecting, not too sure where on the loom the connector is or what it looks like so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Thanks for the replies,

Yep I knew about the clutch answer :wink: I have a few issues/questions.

Can anyone tell me where certain cables connect on the loom.

1) Oil sensor - this is located on the underside of the sump and is a single white wire about 5 inches long with a bullet connector, should there be a longer cable that connects on this and then connects to the loom if so where on the loom?

2) Neutral Switch - Single light blue wire, where does this connect to on the loom?

2) The clutch switch is not working I can't hear a click when the clutch lever is pulled, I have ordered a new replacement.

I am not an established biker and know nothing about bike electrics so any help and pictures of connections would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi thanks for all the advice. Ok I have the wiring to the coils done but when I press the starter button but nothing happens, when I first started the project I replaced the wiring loom as the original had seen better days, could it be that the switch that goes to the stand is causing the problem and needs disconnecting, not too sure where on the loom the connector is or what it looks like so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Side stand switches generally need connecting rather than disconnecting if that makes sense . In other words they work by making a circuit rather than breaking one . If yours isn't connected because I'm guessing that you ain't having a side stand on a trike then this could be the problem.

There was a stand switch on the bike but can't see where its connected to on the loom.

Neutral switch, clutch switch, and oil sensor I believe are causing the problem but until I know where to connect them I'm stuck.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I got the connections more or less sorted, except the coils, can someone tell me the colours of each of the wires that connects to the two HT coils. (Left and Right) there are two spade connections per coil, one on the top and one at the bottom, looking for the correct colour cables to each coil.

Thanks,

Is it like my Triumph......nothing happens unless you pull the clutch lever in....... :wink:

Same. But, I got a ZZR600 as well and the weirdest thing... If you pull the clutch then it refuses to start. Strange things, these bikes.

Can the question be read before replying, not too sure why "leener" gave an answer that has no relevance to my question..

Looking for sensible answers, 2 coils with 2 connections on each (one spade connector top and one on the bottom) what colour are the wires that go to each.

Cheers.

Hi,

I got the connections more or less sorted, except the coils, can someone tell me the colours of each of the wires that connects to the two HT coils. (Left and Right) there are two spade connections per coil, one on the top and one at the bottom, looking for the correct colour cables to each coil.

Thanks,

Fb answered on page 1

Ok , got it . It's red and white to each coil and it's orange to the coil that goes to plugs 1 and 4 and grey to the coil that goes to plugs 2 and 3 . This is taken from the wiring diagram in the Owners handbook rather than the Workshop Manual. I've just noticed that the picture is xj 600. There's a good chance it's the same

Hi fast bob,

Thanks for your reply. Can you further confirm which wires go to which coil i.e. left side coil top connector takes which colour of wire and bottom connector takes which colour of wire likewise for right coil (battery side).

Many Thanks.

Hi fast bob,

Thanks for your reply. Can you further confirm which wires go to which coil i.e. left side coil top connector takes which colour of wire and bottom connector takes which colour of wire likewise for right coil (battery side).

Many Thanks.

You do realize that I've never owned a Yamaha and that I simply searched the internet to provide you with an approximate answer. That was back in February, surely you've bought or downloaded a manual by now . I don't mean to be rude but sometimes you have to do some research.

Yes I have the manual and it gives the colours of each wire that goes to the coil but it does not show you in the manual or give any details as to which is the top or bottom connection, if it did I would not need to ask you the question.

Thanks.

Yes I have the manual and it gives the colours of each wire that goes to the coil but it does not show you in the manual or give any details as to which is the top or bottom connection, if it did I would not need to ask you the question.

Thanks.

Ok but why ask ME specifically ? As I said I do not own a Yamaha XJ 900 so I can't nip out to the garage and have a look plus I'd have to take the tank off if I did . May I suggest you join a Yamaha owners forum in the hope that someone there is prepared to help out in this matter. The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't matter which way round the wires go but opinions vary concerning the polarity of coils . Sorry, hope you get it sorted soon .