"Armadillo Bike Cover" type storage Q

Moonraker

Howdy, me again.

I'm going to be investing in one of these Armadillo Bike Covers (or other brand) for my bike, as at the moment the bike is kept on our "driveway" in the form of allocated parking bang outside the house, but we have no garage. I know you can fix these covers via bolts in to the concrete but we will be moving house at the end of the year/beginning of next year. Will the bolts be easy to remove from the concrete once we move? Will they leave any sort of damage or risk of damage when removed?

Or, is there a way to fix this to the concrete as a temporary measure, so it doesn't fly away or can be moved? For example, not the best idea but sticking bricks on the frame inside etc

Also, are these covers as good as they sound?

Points to you if you can tell I'm not a builder. :wink:

Woodworking is my thing!

As always, my thanks in advance. :thumb:

Then when the bolt is removed just fill in the hole with a sealant.

Some of these covers come with expander bolts in order fix the frame down, which appear to have the holes int eh frame set already. I assume it could be the same logic in regards to filling the holes? I've got the tools to make the holes etc and I can buy the recommended bolts/anchors if the expander bolts don't make the cut.

Have you got planning permission ?

Hmm. Didn't think this would be an issue. It's legally on the deeds on our property. I'm guessing it's a consideration I need to take?

Then when the bolt is removed just fill in the hole with a sealant.

Some of these covers come with expander bolts in order fix the frame down, which appear to have the holes int eh frame set already. I assume it could be the same logic in regards to filling the holes? I've got the tools to make the holes etc and I can buy the recommended bolts/anchors if the expander bolts don't make the cut.

Have you got planning permission ?

Hmm. Didn't think this would be an issue. It's legally on the deeds on our property. I'm guessing it's a consideration I need to take?

Well actually I was sort of joking but I do know personally of one chap who was made to remove one of these covers from his front garden following complaints from the neighbours. I am fairly sure it was a council property though so I wouldn't worry.

I won't lie, I would have ignored planning permission anyway, who would really care? (Unless I was imposing on to another driveway) :lol: :wink: My bike has been there for ages and no ones complained :D

I've measured the space, I've measured the cover and it all fits nicely. I think I'll go for drilling in to the concrete with a few holes in the concrete. I can always find something to fill it with.

I must say, as with every post I've put on here, I get pretty swift and solid responses. I'm grateful as I'm, at this moment, not able to provide much advice to others in return, unless you somehow venture in to something I actually have some knowledge about. :lol:

[mention]JRH[/mention] [mention]fastbob[/mention] [mention]megawatt[/mention] thanks again!

[mention]Stu[/mention] - I finally got the mentions right!

To be honest I see no difference with this to having a car on a front drive and covering it. The only difference is its still there when you drive away.

:thumb:

To be honest I see no difference with this to having a car on a front drive and covering it. The only difference is its still there when you drive away.

They fold down flat when empty, well almost.

They fold down flat when empty, well almost.

True

Exactly. I'm going to jeep the cover up as it's a good deterrent as people don't park in the space when my bike is there. With the cover up, people will think a bike is there.

Exactly. I'm going to jeep the cover up as it's a good deterrent as people don't park in the space when my bike is there. With the cover up, people will think a bike is there.

And you can go and just sit in if you want to be on your own for a while 😊

So, update.

I went for a RideHide, partly because of all the positive reviews and partly because it came with the bolts to secure it in to concrete.

I got it up (woohey) on Tuesday and it's currently in use but held down by some big blocks on the inside. However. When the snow finally clears I'll drill and fix the bolts down.

The front lifts a little in the wind, and so for that, and for extra security, I'm going to fit a ground anchor just inside of where the front bar (that you would use to lift the cover) and I'll use my Oxford chain to connect the frame and anchor together.

I can then leave it standing all day then, and it won't lift or blow away.

We've had some strong winds and a half decent 7 inches of snow and it's down well and the bike seems totally fine. I did tear a little bit of a seam but I think I'll just glue that back.

Edit: I'm also thinking alarmed padlocks as the one provided is a little wired number combo lock.

DSC_1598.thumb.JPG.beaf5eb5fc7437a9fadd676ab7de52d6.JPG

DSC_1597.thumb.JPG.19169cac924712b32420836d6402f075.JPG

_20180303_110531.thumb.JPG.e3069bc3f8fb87b121884046f8c70472.JPG