Brake Issues - Bandit 1250

funinacup

Hey folks, looking for a bit of advice on what might be causing this issue.

I recently stripped and rebuilt my front (tokico) 4 pot calipers with new seals. In trying to remove the pistons (lots were stuck!) I managed to get a few teeth marks on the top edge of the piston from pulling them out with grips. I polished and Sanded the marks with wet and dry and got rid of any sharp bits that could tear the seals.

Refitted them on the bike and bled the system. The lever builds pressure (but doesn't feel great), but after letting go for a few seconds, the next pull sees the lever going straight to the bar with zero pressure.

I've got some stainless lines on the way that I'm going to fit, and if that doesn't solve the issue, then I'm thinking it could be the master cylinder needing new seals.

Is it possible that there's still just air in the system? I'm bleeding manually with a tube with a one way valve on the end. All bubbles seem to disappear but the brakes are still giving me problems.

Would love some advice!

Thanks

Michael

----

2008 Bandit 1250

Did you bleed through in sequence? Don't forget the ABS!

It took me quite a few hours to bleed through mine when I did it - Plus the final few air bubbles (micro bubbles) were got rid of by ty-wrapping the lever down overnight (for two nights).

I followed a You-Tube (other brands may be available 8-) ) video which detailed the sequence to bleed through (something like right {from the front}, left, abs, master).

:cheers:

Thanks for the responses so far.

I hadn't really considered having air in the abs system, but it's entirely possible. Apparently this is dealer only so I'll have to book it in at my local Suzuki mob.

----

2008 Bandit 1250

The brake line route for the front brake is ridiculous with the ups and downs. Why didn't Suzuki fit bleed nipples on and around the ABS unit.

Can you borrow a vacume bleeder?
I'm going to order one today and give this a shot. My local Suzuki dealer in Glasgow have estimated £150+VAT to bleed the lines and/or investigate any issues with the calipers. That'll be the last resort!

----

2008 Bandit 1250

To be honest I don't think that's a bad price, every one forgets that dealers are a business, by the time you take out someone's wages, pay into the contributions for said wages, put something into the upkeep of the business, then pay tax on the business then pay tax on whatever the owner takes out if the business, it's not like they are robbing you blind.

I am aware that some charge silly money for the stupidest of things and I agree that they should be avoided if possible, but sometimes needs must.

Hope the new bleeder sorts it and it will come in handy in the future.

OK maybe not. The vacuum bleeder requires a pressure of 90-120 psi. I'm sure my wee compressor only does about 50!

----

2008 Bandit 1250

Get one-off the hand operated ones - about £10-15. They come in a red box - can't miss them on a google search.

OK maybe not. The vacuum bleeder requires a pressure of 90-120 psi. I'm sure my wee compressor only does about 50!

----

2008 Bandit 1250

Get one-off the hand operated ones - about £10-15. They come in a red box - can't miss them on a google search.

That's the plan now. Just wanted the most powerful vacuum I could get but the compressor route is out now. Hopefully the hand pump one will be fine.

----

2008 Bandit 1250

Don't be put off by the size of it (arf), they pull a good vacuum and will easily do a bike system.

I rigged mine to a 2l bottle and used it to drain parts of my old central heating system - no sweat.

Top tip though - stick a bit of oil on the rod as it rubs on the frame.

Don't be put off by the size of it (arf), they pull a good vacuum and will easily do a bike system.

I rigged mine to a 2l bottle and used it to drain parts of my old central heating system - no sweat.

Top tip though - stick a bit of oil on the rod as it rubs on the frame.

Cheers for that. Been reading some shocking reviews so nice to hear you've had success!

----

2008 Bandit 1250

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest I don't think that's a bad price, every one forgets that dealers are a business, by the time you take out someone's wages, pay into the contributions for said wages, put something into the upkeep of the business, then pay tax on the business then pay tax on whatever the owner takes out if the business, it's not like they are robbing you blind.

True, but my local dealer charges £40/50 an hour, so basically that's them saying it will take them 3 hours to bleed the brakes, because parts won't be included in that price, its just labor, which is extreme. I swear when I replaced and bled my lines, it took about 2 hours and that's with me taking my time

Makes no difference if it takes them 1 hr or 5 your either going to pay the price and leave it to some one else or your not, they quoted a price which for a main dealer is ok, not every one is happy to fix things them selves, business also has to allow for things that may cause problems and leave a margin for error and returns.

[mention]funinacup[/mention] hows it going ?

Makes no difference if it takes them 1 hr or 5 your either going to pay the price and leave it to some one else or your not, they quoted a price which for a main dealer is ok, not every one is happy to fix things them selves, business also has to allow for things that may cause problems and leave a margin for error and returns.

[mention]funinacup[/mention] hows it going ?

Getting there. Resigned myself to the fact that I should put it into a garage though, as I'm not getting anywhere and would like to ride it this year if possible!

Called a local guy who came highly recommended and he described my symptoms before I got the chance. He said he'll open the valves in the abs module with a diagnostic tool, jack the front up 600mm and leave it overnight, and bleed it afterwards, in the hope that the air will make its way to the front from the abs lines.

He wants to strip and rebuild the calipers himself too. Told him about the marked pistons and he didn't seem concerned but time will tell! It's going in next week.

----

2008 Bandit 1250

Well at least there is a plan, sounds like hes used to it, you can under stand him wanting to re do the calipers, its not like bikes have redundancy in the front brake dept.
Absolutely. Although it'll cost a bit more it's worth knowing there are 100% no issues or question marks when it comes back.

----

2008 Bandit 1250