Cutting out on pull away

Via

Wondering if anyone can give any pointers, my sinnis kept cutting out this morning when I went to leave for work.

Idles and revs ok but as soon as you go to pull away it stalls, will get to biting point ok and any further is like trying to pull away with rear brake jammed on and just bogs down until it stalls.

Obvious points...

Don't have a side stand switch

Brakes are fine and free wheels fine

Did this with choke either on or off, only other noticeable issue is battery as after 4/5 attempts when I went to start it battery was dead, that said I've flattened battery plenty of times and apart from hassle of bumping it I've never had any other issues because off it.

Spark plug is fairly new (in fact whole bike still has less than 2k on clock).

That's about all I can say well as I ended up having to take car so weren't late for work, my first test tonight will be if it does it with wheel off the ground but any hints on where to look after will be great.

If the battery has been allowed to drop charge too much it may have killed it. What you're describing sounds like a weak spark, it can't burn the richer fuel mix needed when you're pulling off from a standing start. I'd try giving the battery a full charge or possibly invest in a replacement. A really dead battery can mean you're not getting enough juice through the ignition system even though the engine will idle and rev ok with no load.

Ok turns out I've lied (it was 4.30am when I was trying to get it going)...

Bike won't rev... With choke on it's ok to 3000 rpm after which it bogs down and stalls.

With choke off it will idle but slightest touch of throttle and it stalls.

Can only see one adjustment screw on carb which is idle, did raise that a little a while back because it was stalling on come down but has been fine for months after that.

Got a felling carb will be coming off and that's £20 for parking this week :evil:

Just to update gave a spray of carb cleaner over carb, joints and vacuum lines, no change in rpm so don't look like air leak anywhere, think I'm stuck now until I get carb off which won't be for a few days now.

Hopefully by the time it's fixed I can put it up for sale :lol:

Kind of sorted, fuel in carb had turned to jelly while it's been sat over winter, I have used it a fair few times since then though but think I was lucky and it then blocked main jet (glad it did it at home!)

20180328_181846.thumb.jpg.25b4059db01593071a18e46828ba7338.jpg

Annoyingly the float chamber gasket has stretched, tried to blag it but won't hold fuel (but runs now and revs fine again) just need to find new gasket as struggling with ebay atm

Kind of sorted, fuel in carb had turned to jelly while it's been sat over winter, I have used it a fair few times since then though but think I was lucky and it then blocked main jet (glad it did it at home!)

20180328_181846.jpg

Annoyingly the float chamber gasket has stretched, tried to blag it but won't hold fuel (but runs now and revs fine again) just need to find new gasket as struggling with ebay atm

Hi mate, what on earth is that a picture of ??

Here you go. Oh shit sorry, just read the writing in red .

And wrong bike :wink: this is my 125.

Found one though on ebay, should be here by the weekend.

Here you go. Oh shit sorry, just read the writing in red .

And wrong bike :wink: this is my 125.

Found one though on ebay, should be here by the weekend.

Oops sorry ! But what's the picture of ?

No worries :wink:

That's a glass jar (well a fancy one with some kind of embossing, think its meant to have a candle in it :lol:) with what was drained from carb, bottom orange stuff was jelly, top was normal fuel)

No worries :wink:

That's a glass jar (well a fancy one with some kind of embossing, think its meant to have a candle in it :lol:) with what was drained from carb, bottom orange stuff was jelly, top was normal fuel)

Oh , yeah now I see it , it looks like a squashed tin can . Are you sure that's jelly ? That just looks how water behaves in petrol to me . Stick some petrol in a jar and drop some water in . It will sink and appear to form globules but all its really doing is not mixing with the petrol. Cheers anyway.

To be fair I didn't stick finger in it to see if it is squidy but behaved more solid, sank straight to bottom and didn't move like water, that said though may have been and got quite a bit of rust appeared around filler cap so wouldn't surprise me if water got in tank.

TBH for size of tank I think I will probably just drain it and refill (well I'll put a jerry can worth in it, don't intend to be keeping it long enough to use a whole tank).

Old trick re. water in petrol - add some meths to the tank. Water can't mix with petrol but it will mix with meths. Then the resulting meths/water emulsion will mix with petrol.

But that water looks rusty which means you'll have corrosion inside the tank. That needs sorting or the tank will rust through and the continuing corrosion will cause blockages in the fuel system. Just don't do what a mate of mine did. He filled the tank with fuel resistance epoxy, swilled it all round, then drained the excess out of the filler cap. Left it all to set and re-assembled the tank.

But the bike wouldn't start. We left him for weeks until he figured out why. He'd forgotten to drill through the epoxy where the fuel outlet fitted so no fuel was getting out.

The inside from what I can see is clear but a lot of rust on left side of filler neck, obviously has seeped though cap and sitting around filler neck under cap.

Will drain the tank and have a better check but if it just around filler neck should be easy enough to remove.

That just looks how water behaves in petrol to me . Stick some petrol in a jar and drop some water in .

Spot on by the way, took float chamber off again today ready for new gasket (managed to jiggle it off leaving carb on the bike) and was a tiny bit in bottom again so have it a prod and poke, sure enough it's water in there.

So will get the tank drained and clean down the rust I can see then some fresh fuel.

That just looks how water behaves in petrol to me . Stick some petrol in a jar and drop some water in .

Spot on by the way, took float chamber off again today ready for new gasket (managed to jiggle it off leaving carb on the bike) and was a tiny bit in bottom again so have it a prod and poke, sure enough it's water in there.

So will get the tank drained and clean down the rust I can see then some fresh fuel.

I wouldn't touch that rust at all . If you dislodge it you may never get it out of he tank because the filler hole has an internal neck that will prevent it falling out . Better to invest in a fuel filter.

Good point, in that case will probably just give it a coat of treatment.

Most of it is external (e.g. under filler cap but outside of the tank) but with some going down the filler neck.

Good point, in that case will probably just give it a coat of treatment.

Most of it is external (e.g. under filler cap but outside of the tank) but with some going down the filler neck.

Could be the better option, I've used this stuff in the past and it seemed to work ok , can't remember the brand though. Remember to remove the internal filter if there is one but I'm not sure how you plug the hole . How's the ER5 going ? I've got to get a new back tyre for mine , its got the weirdest wear pattern . It's gone wavy for want of a better word .

Could be the better option, I've used this stuff in the past and it seemed to work ok , can't remember the brand though. Remember to remove the internal filter if there is one but I'm not sure how you plug the hole . How's the ER5 going ? I've got to get a new back tyre for mine , its got the weirdest wear pattern . It's gone wavy for want of a better word .

I've got 3 different rust treatments in garage, I know one of them is really good, never remember which one though so normally end up doing it 3 times :lol: as for internal filter, being a £1300 new chinese bike I'm going to take a random guess it dont.

ER5 is practically done just been a struggle with time lately, got a screen for it which went on the other week. What tyre was it? I just went with a pilot street on rear for mine. Got to take front wheel off again :? got the speedo pickup rotated wrong and it's got lugs on it so cant just loosen it and spin it round... typically it was last thing I went to connect!

Doing the carb float needles seems to have sorted fueling issue, could have probably got away with a clean but tbh the lack of maintenance on the outside of bike is probably an indication of how well the internals have been looked after so thought may as well replace them for the sake of a few quid. Itching to get it on the road now.

I've got 3 different rust treatments in garage, I know one of them is really good, never remember which one though so normally end up doing it 3 times :lol: as for internal filter, being a £1300 new chinese bike I'm going to take a random guess it dont.

ER5 is practically done just been a struggle with time lately, got a screen for it which went on the other week. What tyre was it? I just went with a pilot street on rear for mine. Got to take front wheel off again :? got the speedo pickup rotated wrong and it's got lugs on it so cant just loosen it and spin it round... typically it was last thing I went to connect!

Doing the carb float needles seems to have sorted fueling issue, could have probably got away with a clean but tbh the lack of maintenance on the outside of bike is probably an indication of how well the internals have been looked after so thought may as well replace them for the sake of a few quid. Itching to get it on the road now.

Whoa hang on , I wasn't talking about rust treatments I was talking about petrol tank sealer . Sorry, do these treatments tolerate long term exposure to petrol ? I somehow doubt it .

Whoa hang on , I wasn't talking about rust treatments I was talking about petrol tank sealer . Sorry, do these treatments tolerate long term exposure to petrol ? I somehow doubt it .

Technically should never be exposed to petrol as the rust is outside the filler neck (with small amount going down on inside) which I take it is being dragged in with the water seeping into the tank. That said tbh in regards to long term with this bike I am really not fussed, if it was the ER5 would be a lot more concerned about doing it right, this I don't intend to have for more than another month or two so happy to put a plaster on it.

To be fair vast majority of the blame is on me as while the ER5 is tucked in a nice dry garage, this gets parked in back garden underneath a leaky gutter (must get the ladders out at some point!) and been out there all through the snow, I was just surprised its started again at all.