Choke cable?

micky198

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and to motorbiking. I have a rieju lc 125 pro. It keeps cutting out and currently won't start at all. I have noticed the choke cable when moved made my tickover go weird and kept cutting the bike out. Does anyone have any idea what this could be. Thanks for any help or replies

I have had the garage look at that well I have asked them to and they said it's fine. It has been in the garage more times than I can remember and they just can't find the problem. It has only been recently I have noticed with the choke cable gets knocked it starts playing up. It's suppose to be a new bike and it has had this problem for ages. I am stripping it down this weekend. What would I look for with the side stand. As I am just going to try fix it myself as the garage I brought it from seems pretty shit or just can't be bothered

Sticky cable, cables on chokes are always a nightmare - does it change revs or cut out when the bars are turned from lock to lock? You can try some maintenance spray down it as an attempt at an easy fix..

How would I fix it completely would it be a new cable? Thanks for the replies. It's really frustrating since I have only just brought it. It only has 1500 miles

A better fix is to replace the cable, if you can find a replacement. But this only lasts for so long, then it starts to stick and this all happens again.. I eventually gave up with the cable on my CB250 and fitted a manual plunger on the carburettor itself, but from what I can gather you can't easily access the carb on your bike as it's hidden by the frame so this may not be a viable solution for you.

You could also try and reroute the cable somehow, this will take the pressure off the sticky part and may make it slide freely again.. For a while.

Yeah its right next to the frame which is a bitch. I think I shall have to try reroute it as you say. Any ideas how? Looks like it's going to be a fun weekend

Can't really suggest how to reroute it, that's up to you with the bike in front of you - sorry! If you can find a way to not have it mounted to the handlebars you'll have likely solved the problem..

All cables are specific, in length and in which connectors are on the ends. However, they are all Bowden cables and you may find somewhere that can make you a cable if you take your old one to them! I would suggest a bicycle shop for this, the more old skool the better. Any motorbike place will just try and get you a cable for your bike, from Rieju or wherever.

Personally I would start with taking the cable off the bike, spraying some stuff down it and then working the inner cable in and out, while twisting, until no more dirt seems to be coming out. If that doesn't help, or only helps for a couple of days, then I would start thinking about replacing/re-routing the cable. It will also be worth putting some spray into the hole in the carburettor so that the plunger can slide easily, if it is built like that.

Surely if its a new bike then the seller should fix it or replace it just like any other consumer product. If you try to fix it yourself you are letting the seller off the hook because they can now claim that you have caused the fault . If it was a new washing machine and it didn't work properly you wouldn't try to fix that .

Ok thanks for the advice. It has been back to the shop quite a few times as in about 6 times and they are always to busy to have a proper look at it. I shall be ringing them today

Yeah I will do as i have been nothing but patient think there comes a point where it's just taking the piss. Thanks for the replies and I shall keep you posted on this

• 2 weeks later...

Update to the rieju 125cc. The bike is still in the garage they have got it running but they don't know what the problem is still. They said it would be ready today but now want to keep it for longer. It has been there for 12days now and all I keep getting is they haven't had the time to look properly, even though it was booked in for the 10th for a service