More Beefy issues, help pls??

Westbeef

I had a quick ride out today and at one point it felt like I’d clipped a rock on the rear wheel, I was pretty sure I hadn’t so I stopped to check and everything seemed ok. Got home and had a better look and discovered the chain is ratting/slapping as shown in the video. The tension is fine sprockets and chain are ok, is it likely to be a transmission issue?

In neutral the wheel spins freely, if I put it into gear and pull the clutch the wheel has some firm resistance. I’m not sure if that’s normal, don’t think it is.

">

If the tension is ok, check the chain for a tight spot. Rotate the wheel slowly and check the chain tension all the way around the length of the chain. If it goes loose and then very tight, that would be the cause.

Had the same thing, with the same symptoms on the same model of bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chain and sprockets are fine, just had a service and MOT and the fella has checked it thoroughly. Also checked it just now again myself to be sure, no stick links and wear seems pretty even currently. I’ve been told it could be normal and most bikes would do similar?

It will do that with no load ......If you put very slight pressure on the rear brake you'll probably find it doesn't do that.......also remember that there'll be more slack in the chain with no weight on the rear suspension. ..... 8-)

The chain and sprockets are fine, just had a service and MOT and the fella has checked it thoroughly. Also checked it just now again myself to be sure, no stick links and wear seems pretty even currently. I’ve been told it could be normal and most bikes would do similar?

Ahh I misread. I thought it was slapping while riding. If it only does it when not under load then it’s fine.

Mine was slapping more and a bit crunchy sounding when it developed a nasty tight spot.

If you can peer down while riding and it’s not bouncing around, I imagine it’s fine. The back wheel probably kicked something up while you were riding along.

Ahh I misread. I thought it was slapping while riding. If it only does it when not under load then it’s fine.

Mine was slapping more and a bit crunchy sounding when it developed a nasty tight spot.

If you can peer down while riding and it’s not bouncing around, I imagine it’s fine. The back wheel probably kicked something up while you were riding along.

I’m thinking that too now, thanks :). I’m just paranoid :lol:.

No probs.

Just for some peace of mind, I used to get 18-22k miles out of a chain and sprocket set on my old cbr’s and that was back when I didn’t have a car so they saw all kinds of crap weather and styles of riding.

So the further you are from that, the better :)

In neutral the wheel spins freely, if I put it into gear and pull the clutch the wheel has some firm resistance. I’m not sure if that’s normal, don’t think it is.

Bit of clutch drag, I wouldn't worry about it until the bike starts creeping forward in gear with the clutch out!

Have you checked your clutch adjustment ?

If lever is not pulling clutch sufficiently then it may not disengage fullt

I actually had it wrong before, the guy on the service advised me of my error and set it to the correct free-play.

I'd adjusted it so the bite was closer to the bars, but that was bad. It's ok now :)

Have you tried running in gear on the paddock stand but with you sitting on the bike ? If the suspension was compressed there would be less friction on the rubber guide block . Also , have you removed the chain and flexed every link to ensure each one moves freely ? One issue with O ring chains is that the friction of the O rings can easily disguise a problem . In other words , a chain that is absolutely shagged can still seem to be in good condition because the rubber rings quieten it down . A good test is to lay it flat and see how far you can bend it into a curve but you will need a fresh rivet link to do this .

Have you tried running in gear on the paddock stand but with you sitting on the bike ? If the suspension was compressed there would be less friction on the rubber guide block . Also , have you removed the chain and flexed every link to ensure each one moves freely ? One issue with O ring chains is that the friction of the O rings can easily disguise a problem . In other words , a chain that is absolutely shagged can still seem to be in good condition because the rubber rings quieten it down . A good test is to lay it flat and see how far you can bend it into a curve but you will need a fresh rivet link to do this .

I haven’t tried either of those, I think I’ll get someone to watch the chain as I ride it past slowly so I know it’s fine with my weight on (don’t fancy jumping on it, on the paddock stand :lol:). Also I haven’t taken it off and I probably won’t, if I’m going to take it off I’d probably just replace it and it seems to have good life going off the other checks :).

Just to say, my MSX does this when it is on the paddock stand. When on the ground it is "normal". It used to really bug me, I'd spend ages adjusting the chain on the paddock stand to stop it doing it, put it back on the ground and the chain would be way to tight...

I suspect my neighbours thought I had truly gone mad this time as it must have looked like I was taking my bike for a walk, wandering around with the bike at a walking pace as I checked it! :lol:

Something on the side maybe related I dunno, I noticed a rattle when I revved at the lights a couple of days ago. Noticed it again today.

It only does it when I rev, when the bikes warm and it sounds to me like it’s somsthing rattling/vibrating. Almost sounds like flicking some plastic down a rough surface. It doesn’t do it if I pull the clutch in either. I know the CCT can be noisy but it doesn’t seem like that to me compared to other videos I’ve seen. Is it nothing and I’ve just discovered a new way to make a different sound on my bike? :mrgreen: . It hasn’t done it before.

">

Sounds like a CCT related noise to me. It is a CBR 600 isn't it?

Yeah I thought it could be heading that way I’m going to trying a couple of free things first and might just have to replace it if they don’t work.

Sounds like a CCT related noise to me. It is a CBR 600 isn't it?

That was my first thought but the fact it doesn't do it with the clutch pulled makes me think it could be clutch rattle

Had another listen on the way to work just now, it's really intermittent. It didn't do it as much at all and I even wore no ear plugs to see if I could hear it better. My first steps are to have a listen to the clutch to check the headers/connector pipe when I get home. As I took the end can off and moved them a bit when I did it. Might have loosened something and be getting a slight vibration.

Yiu may have a leak on exhaust system

Try with engine running and using a rag seal the exhaust outlet on end can and see if you can hear it blowing on the system . If its well sealed the engine should basically stall or attempt to . Blowing downpipe gaskets can produce a tapping noise

Plus check any guards on exhaust for missing fastners etc

Yeah, missed that Stu. Easy enough to remove CCT, give it a good clean, fill with oil and replace. We fitted a manual tensioner eventually.

Worth playing with the clutch adjustment and if noise comes and goes, strip the clutch for a look behind the basket.

We cleaned most of the rust off the pipes and collector and exposed loads of pinholes underneath. Stainless system fixed that.

I'm on the stainless system, I had a big hole in my old headers and I think the CCT in mine is the sprung one? It's quite difficult to get at looking at the videos, the lower bolt is a real PITA with limited access. It's sat right behind the frame, where on the later RR's it appears the moved it up so you can change it easily :lol:.

It's this one for mine;

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CBR600F1-2001/part_59602/

As for the clutch adjustment, it's feeling a bit stiff at the minute. On service the fella adjusted it to the correct free-play ( i had too much), could it be that it's too tight now?