Breakdown cover

Rodders

I'm heading to France for a few days soon. My bike is a 2002 Suzuki Bandit 600. I'm new to riding, and the bike is new to me and I've only done a few rides so far. During those rides I've had a few mechanical glitches, though I think I've had them sorted at a local workshop.

That said, I want some breakdown cover. At least for the single trip, perhaps for the year.

Who do you recommend and how much should I expect to pay?

European breakdown cover is covered by my insurance with Carol Nash. Maybe your insurance has cover included. If not go for a reputable company, e.g. AA, RAC, Green Flag. No idea of cost as mine was included.

If it were me.. i would likely go for one of the big UK companies.. most if not all will have partners in France and the rest of Europe.. AA. RAC. Greenflag. see which has the deal that suits you best.

My strategy has been to use Carole Nash as my insurer and so I get European breakdown included.. I've used it twice and it was great both times. (in Germany and in Austria)

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/breakdown-cover/enquiry/

Edited by Gerontious

I'm with Bikesure, so I just gave them a call and it was easy and cheap enough just to take their option. £53 for the year, covers Europe and homestart etc.

I'm with start rescue

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI34qdqcql2gIVzbvtCh1WZATeEAAYASAAEgJIKfD_BwE

I don't know how good their European cover is but they were excellent when I had to call them out in the uk. I used their app to raise the issue, they phoned me within 5 minutes and I was picked up in under an hour by a guy with a very well kitted out motorcycle breakdown van.

Whoever you use be prepared for a bill. if the breakdown is the result of something simple that can be fixed on the spot, all well and good. But if it isn't and you need to be taken to a mechanic.. there will be a bill to pay and worse case a delay of a couple of days waiting for parts. So, its wise to be prepared for this.. with a credit card or the ability to withdraw cash.. and perhaps pay for a local hotel too.

When I had my breakdown (clutch actuator broken) in Austria. I was faced with a €400 bill, which had to be paid in cash. I was taken to a dealership that happened to have a donor bike and the part was taken from that and swapped over. So, the bill covered the labor and the price of a new part for the donor bike.

Presumably you can then claim this back off your insurance or not?

I doubt that very much mate, you've got a option recovery and brought home, or into the nearest repair centre, you might have insurance for emergency accommodation and the like, but not for a breakdown repair, almost always you'll be charged for parts if needed at the roadside or garage. Be prepared for the worst case scenario, hopefully as the songs say's, things can only get better.

Just done mine with RAC for 4 days in July , best cover they do ..£25 ,

Yours might be dearer due to age of your bike .

I got 365 days for £53. Seems to be quite extensive cover too - Homestart, European, onward travel etc.

Just done mine with RAC for 4 days in July , best cover they do ..£25 ,

Yours might be dearer due to age of your bike .

I got 365 days for £53. Seems to be quite extensive cover too - Homestart, European, onward travel etc.

Sounds good , just make sure your European has all the bits you need .