slow acceleration in 1st

savo318

I got a new bike, its used but in good nick.

two problems though.

1st - The speedometer is not showing the correct speed, when i was doing 38 going past one of those speed warning signs, my bike showed me i was doing 48, can i adjust or do i need a new speedometer.

2nd- When pulling off in first, the accelleation is really sluggish, then seems to kick in all of a sudden, and once ive been going ten minutes or so its fine, only happens in first, anyone know why.

thanks

Most speedometers aren’t 100% accurate but it’s usually within 10%. Yours is much more. First thing to check is that you’ve got the right tyres fitted. Tyre size can throw the speedo out.

In terms of pulling away in first when was it last serviced? A worn spark plug can foul at idle which causes initial acceleration to bog down.

the tyres are the ones tht came as stock on the bike, but the bloke who had the bike before me, put a new speedo on it, as he was gonna try to make the bike into a chopper/bobber typre thing

I've probably got an old CG speedo , that's the original round type , that you can have . I live in Coventry so I could easily nip out to meet you half way ( ish ) at Bikers World at Coleshill . I'll PM you if I do have one. I've rebuilt a lot of CGs in the past so I would be happy to look at your bike if you want .

By the way, I'm assuming its your CG , you don't give any details at all in your original post so I checked your profile .

I got a new bike, its used but in good nick.

two problems though.

1st - The speedometer is not showing the correct speed, when i was doing 38 going past one of those speed warning signs, my bike showed me i was doing 48, can i adjust or do i need a new speedometer.

2nd- When pulling off in first, the accelleation is really sluggish, then seems to kick in all of a sudden, and once ive been going ten minutes or so its fine, only happens in first, anyone know why.

thanks

if its your CG then I do have a very good idea why, see my other post .

I've probably got an old CG speedo , that's the original round type , that you can have . I live in Coventry so I could easily nip out to meet you half way ( ish ) at Bikers World at Coleshill . I'll PM you if I do have one. I've rebuilt a lot of CGs in the past so I would be happy to look at your bike if you want .

By the way, I'm assuming its your CG , you don't give any details at all in your original post so I checked your profile .

What a gent. Good man.

1. the bloke who had the bike before me, put a new speedo on it........

2.....as he was gonna try to make the bike into a chopper/bobber typre thing

1. Therein lies the clue.....

2. You wot? A CG125 bobber? Was this bloke some kind of "care in the community" candidate? Blimey, I've heard it all now........ :shock:

Sorry it took awhile to get back to you.

No this is a temporary bike till the cg is back on the road again.

I'll wait for the groans to end. Its Chinese.....................

Junlin Texan 125-11.

Its a copy of the Suzuki marauder.

Its actually a nice bike, still rust free well maintained,and apart from a few problems really good.

2. You wot? A CG125 bobber? Was this bloke some kind of "care in the community" candidate? Blimey, I've heard it all now........ :shock:

I would've thought a CG was an excellent choice for a first foray into custom bike building.

259137331_maxresdefault(2).thumb.jpg.134c78ef980e8fa1dd61853e94ad50b4.jpg

I would've thought a CG was an excellent choice for a first foray into skip filling.

Though I hesitate to say it........."fixed it for you"... :roll:

I would've thought a CG was an excellent choice for a first foray into skip filling.

Though I hesitate to say it........."fixed it for you"... :roll:

Id rather you expanded upon your reasons for not liking CG 125s instead of altering my words to suit your own viewpoint. I have bought and restored eight of these very basic little motorbikes and in doing so I have developed a great admiration verging on affection for their simple yet robust construction. The fact that millions of Chinese clones are still based on this 1976 Honda design is a testament to durability of its no frills push rod operated engine . CGs may not be big , expensive, or glamourous but , like the C90, they still have their place in the motorcycling world .

Oi Bob - hold yer hat on! Never said I don't like CGs..... as you say, fantastic little bikes that have introduced 1000's of people into biking. Some of those little Hondas were great - I had a CD175 that was basically bullet-proof - when I got it some knob had stripped the splines on the kick-starter shaft & tried to bodge it (tip - it won't work...) so split the cases, new shaft and...... at 60000 miles, bores were a bit scuffed so had 'em honed, gearbox like new - it would have driven a tank (the pinions, dogs, selector drum and forks etc. etc. were better than the ones on my XS 750, FWIW).

What I don't like is these bikes being "chopped" or "bobbed"..... I think a more accurate word would be "ruined".

While it might well be possible to produce something worthwhile if you spent enough money on it, just do the sums......CGs are built as utility bikes to a price point so ain't gonna be worth it.

Still, that's just me... if it floats yer boat, as they say... fill yer boots.

Oi Bob - hold yer hat on! Never said I don't like CGs..... as you say, fantastic little bikes that have introduced 1000's of people into biking. Some of those little Hondas were great - I had a CD175 that was basically bullet-proof - when I got it some knob had stripped the splines on the kick-starter shaft & tried to bodge it (tip - it won't work...) so split the cases, new shaft and...... at 60000 miles, bores were a bit scuffed so had 'em honed, gearbox like new - it would have driven a tank (the pinions, dogs, selector drum and forks etc. etc. were better than the ones on my XS 750, FWIW).

What I don't like is these bikes being "chopped" or "bobbed"..... I think a more accurate word would be "ruined".

While it might well be possible to produce something worthwhile if you spent enough money on it, just do the sums......CGs are built as utility bikes to a price point so ain't gonna be worth it.

Still, that's just me... if it floats yer boat, as they say... fill yer boots.

Right right ..... Got you , its the mutilation of perfectly good bikes that you don't like . I do know what you mean and it has to be said that there are many shocking attempts at customization that are enough to make you weep . Just occasionally there are some really good ones though . Keep an eye out for a black CG café racer in Stratford upon Avon, for a young lad's first attempt it does have a certain charm . Coincidently, my first bike was a CB175 but my kick start shaft was sheared clean off so I had to rely on the starter motor . Sorry for the misunderstanding, if you take another look at the pic you will notice that a hole appears to have already been dug to bury the bike in question but I still like it. Say hello if you see me in SOA or the surrounding roads as this is also my favorite playground, red GSXR 1100 WP or red ER5.