Breakdown! Possible engine failure?

nwscooter

So any ideas as to what on earth could have caused this. Yamaha Cygnus X 125

Casually riding along a nearby main road (60mph limit, I was doing closer to 50mph) when all of a sudden I felt like I was losing the back wheel and gradually lost all power. Pull bike over to the side of the road before it completely cuts out and absolutely no chance of it starting again. After waiting a few hours for the man from the RAC and then another hour or so for the recovery truck I'm back home.

When I was at the roadside bike seemed to try to start but just not actually start completely on doing so, occasionally it just wouldn't even try. Lights/electrics all seem to work fine. There's a loose cable (blue and gold wires inside a black cable) hanging out the side by the throttle, but the two in and out of the throttle are in place.

RAC man came expecting to just be putting cable back in place but upon trying to start it suggest the chain inside the engine was broken due to the unhealthy sound the bike was making so arranged a recovery truck. Is this fixable or would it need an entire new engine?

Firstly I'm mad at myself for not noticing the problem before it actually cut out, in hindsight the bike had been slow to accelerate whilst riding before it cut out. Secondly, I'm really getting fed up with this bike, it's literally just come out of the garage the other day for a minor issue (that a more experienced person could have fixed themselves fairly easily) and already had a new battery since a bought it. Only had it four months as well

An all round shit day given I was almost knocked off by some moron trying to overtake me and rather than drop back as traffic was slowing on a dual carriageway just cut into the side of me as if I wasn't there whilst trying to overtake me (in full hi-vis motorcycle clothing - I wasn't hard to see) for an upcoming roundabout and forcing me to take evasive action by flying onto the little white lined area at the side of the road that cyclists seem to have designated a cycle lane (thankfully none there when I had to do that). And yes I had slowed down to make room for him as much as I could, the space just wasn't there.

Sorry this is turning into a bit of rant but an all round shit day.