'98 Bandit 600 Rear Shock absorber

Lumor_uk

Started getting spongy and has now been flagged as slightly weak on the MOT, in fact I think it's completely gone and is just riding on the spring. I don't know if I'm searching wrong but I can't seem to find the seal kits anywhere :scratch:.

I've found a video on you tube and I've done the front suspension on my car (although it was a straight swap of the shock part rather than strip down) and wanted to give this a go :thumb:

Edited by Lumor_uk

your thread title is mismatched to the content.. im going to assume the thread title is correct.

No fork seals for a rear shock.. you normally have two choices. either have the original shock rebuilt. This isn't normally a DIY job. or replace it completely with an aftermarket or an original thats in better condition.

Sorry corrected to remove word 'fork' :oops:

See it's £125 for rebuild assuming piston is not pitted. Not going to spend fortune on it. Saw one on ebay yesterday...thoughts? :roll:

7uOXPe8.jpg

Even the piston is sprayed black and described as 'very good condition'

See it's £125 for rebuild assuming piston is not pitted. Not going to spend fortune on it. Saw one on ebay yesterday...thoughts? :roll:

7uOXPe8.jpg

If the rod is sprayed black .. is it going to travel freely?

If your going to spend £125 + postage and more than likely another £80 on the pitted piston ( never had one refurbed that didn't need it funnily enough )

Get a quote from hagon or such like for a new one. And if you sell the bike you can put old one back on and sell the hagon or similar separately and recoup some back

7uOXPe8.jpg

If your going to spend £125 + postage and more than likely another £80 on the pitted piston ( never had one refurbed that didn't need it funnily enough )

Get a quote from hagon or such like for a new one. And if you sell the bike you can put old one back on and sell the hagon or similar separately and recoup some back

Not a chance ! I paid £30 for this ( GSXR 1000 ) and its ace .

WP_20180217_15_36_49_Pro.thumb.jpg.5f95ea3f4f8d052e4e63130a7543f230.jpg

7uOXPe8.jpg

Of course there are good secondhand items available but my point being is if your going to spend £200 ish on refurbing a standard shock its possibly better spending on a New unit which until it arrives you can still use the bike

What's the loose bolt from btw ?

Forgive me , what does btw mean?

Of course there are good secondhand items available but my point being is if your going to spend £200 ish on refurbing a standard shock its possibly better spending on a New unit which until it arrives you can still use the bike

quite agree , but £125 for something sprayed black to make it look good seems a bit cheeky .

By the way

I don't have any loose bolts , well I hope not ! If you mean what bike is it , its my 93 Gixer 1100 .

Zoom in on picture on top of swingarm

Well spotted

I don't have any loose bolts , well I hope not ! If you mean what bike is it , its my 93 Gixer 1100 .

Zoom in on picture on top of swingarm

Well spotted

Oh THAT loose bolt ! So that's where it went , I think that's one that attaches the battery box to the frame. I probably replaced it with an Allen bolt anyway .

Just bought a 2nd hand Hagon for £158 all in, have I been robbed? Looks in okay nick. Going by eBay its top of going rate but I know it is made for my bike so happy to pay slight premium.

Now how the fudge do I support my bike without using a rear axle stand?

• 2 weeks later...

Got rafters / roof beams in your garage? Attach rope and take up tension from under tail section. As long as you are on the main stand, this works fine - Don't try and lift the bike with the rope - Just use it to keep the back end up!

Remove rear wheel for ease of access (you can do the job without but it becomes more 'fidely').

:cheers:

Hi, have you still got centre stand fitted, if so just put it on stand and drop shock out, if not try putting axle stands under rear footrest arms {may have to remove silencer}. But loosen all bolts first, so you're not trying to pull it off the stands :oops:

Bought a centre stand off eBay £7 :) shock fitted, was very easy. Has transformed the bike. There was oil peeing out of old shock and the bump stop was missing it's other half, completely split down the middle. Thought that would have been automatic fail in MOT. but doubt he could see it through all the crap.