YBR 125 Problem

megawatt

Have had two friends contact me today with possibly the same problem. Bike misfires, horrible noises, bike stops. Oil drained and loads of iron filings in it AND SMELLS OF PETROL. Anybody else?

If there are metal fillings in the oil then there is significant engine damage.

Engine will need to be stripped and all moving parts inspected/measured for wear.

You need to find out why the engine failed, could just be worn out, or lack of oil, old or poor oil,

The condition of the oil can tell you a lot. What did it look like apart from the metal fillings?

If you are lucky allthe fillings will be from one worn bearing, replace it clean everrything, rebuild engine anoff you go again.

If you are unlucky everything that moves will be worn.

The YBR engine does not have a very good filter, it s basically just a mesh plate ot catch any large parts.

Oil should be changed every 1800miles,

I missed that bit,

if petrol has got into the engine oil, then engine failure would occur form poor lubrication.

Petrol is not a god lubricant, it would thin the oil down.

It does take a reasonable amount of petrol, a small amount would evaporate reasonably quickly ona cold engine or very quickly on a hot engine.

As I said before what is the oi like. very thin oil can be due to petrol in it,

The smell will be a give away (you have already noticed it).

Sticking needle valve is the usual cause, allowing petrol to continally drain through.

Check the air box to see of there is petrol in there.

Also what position is the petrol tap left in?

On main tank it should be vacuum controlled, so fuel willonly flow when the engine is running.

Of all the people not to post in the pitstop section :lol:

Stuck injector causing cylinder wash? Filling the oil with fuel and causing premature wear due to oil being washed away and diluted?

Yep, my er5 filled the sump with fuel via the carbs and airbox.

Was about to say exactly the same thing about Chira's ER5: combination of petrol tap dying and sticky carb emptied an entire tank of petrol through the carbs, cylinder 1, air box and sump onto the garage floor.

Yep, my er5 filled the sump with fuel via the carbs and airbox.

Was about to say exactly the same thing about Chira's ER5: combination of petrol tap dying and sticky carb emptied an entire tank of petrol through the carbs, cylinder 1, air box and sump onto the garage floor.

This is the most commonly reported fault on ER5s . There is an airbox modification you can do to prevent the fuel getting into the sump but as to why the fuel tap AND the float valve (s) should fail so regularly I can't see any reason . Check out an ER5 forum and you will see this problem over and over again . Mine hasnt done it since I installed new float needles . I removed the tiny wire clips by the way . No reason , I just don't think they are necessary , I believe gravity and fuel pressure is sufficient to open the valve .