ZZR600 E Fork Seals

leener

Sod the Royal wedding, we have fork seals to do.

20180519_121550.thumb.jpg.565a3e19370ec88c3ef069b50d3e0cac.jpg

20180519_121555.thumb.jpg.0572710300ef098081ff5c1b67ca83b8.jpg

20180519_121604.thumb.jpg.71c5b7a0b3bbb95ba0008636e34051a1.jpg

Definitely too far gone, so let's wipe the stanchions and see the state of the chrome.

20180519_121926.thumb.jpg.af90f0cfadfea59923cc305eabeda99c.jpg

Great, so even if I get this job done, the pits will nic at the new seals and ruin them before I even begin.

Also, how the hell do you get these off the top? :crybaby:

I have never seen these on top of forks.

20180519_130439.thumb.jpg.a2a6131ef1b16ab3d9e0b32b96bc7e02.jpg

It's safe to say that this bike would never pass its mot on the 25th, especially since the fork oil was almost pouring out.

Looking at the state of the forks, what would you say is best? I want to use this bike, so may consider rechroming and painting the legs.

But, that top bit isn't even a nut. I can't figure how to get that off. It looks like there's a thin Bush between it and the wall of the stanchion.

Should be a circlip in there. Compress the plug, flick the circlip out and release the plug.

Thanks. I got it now.

The only problem is that the state of them is so bad that I will need to go for a replacement set of used forks, which most of the ones on eBay are less than £100.

The pitting on mine is low and bad enough to destroy the new seals, plus I need new dust caps, and other bits.

If you focus on the carbs and engine, this bike is good. But it looks like it has had a life of absolute neglect, in terms of cleaning and maintaining the thing. The whole thing needs a makeover and pampering.

Sometimes you can stop fork seal scoring by applying a drop of nail hardener to the pits and gently emerying it, but it doesn't last. Best to replace or rechrome.

Stick a zip tie around the shiny bit , give the forks a good hard pumping . So where's the zip tie moved up to ? If it hasn't reached the pitted bit your ok . I'd give the rough bits a good polish with 2500 grade wet and dry to see if that improves matters . Otherwise its a post to A M Philpott Ltd .

I wonder how much A M Philpott Ltd would charge for rechroming these. I can't believe the last owner let this bike get so bad. The carbs have been balanced, the oil changed, and general maintenance (except the chain), but bolts and screws were SEIZED and required boring out. I couldn't even get the fairings off without having to destroy the bolts. I think I'm the first person to take these bits off the bike.

A kind gentleman on a ZZR group has offered to send me some spare forks he has sitting around for the cost of the postage. So I'm just waiting to hear back from him.

Meanwhile, I could make some progress on that Triumph that is sort of going back together. I lost a nut from one of the engine mount bolts, and the clutch isn't springing back, so might have to get the clutch cover off and sort that out. AND, then chain isn't feeding past the drive shaft, (not enough clearance to pull the chain to the side to go round), so that is another bit of fun to have while the sun is out.