Kawasaki GTR1400 regulator rectifier keeps failing - any ideas?

richardgtr1400

Anyone had a problem with a Kawasaki GTR1400 repeatedly blowing the regulator rectifier?

I'm onto my third regulator/rectifier in 18 months.

The first time it failed I had a fluctuating voltage and flickering headlights (intermittent) followed by sudden complete power failure (blew main fuse).

Second one lasted 15 months and then the voltage started to fluctuate again and flickering headlights. Voltage would go up to 15.5 and down to 10v. Got it replaced (and new battery), but voltage continued to fluctuate (up to 16 and down to 10v). Went up to 16v especially if the battery was put on trickle charge overnight but if not on trickle charge would at best get 13.5 v. Last week was in slow traffic (so low revs) and the voltage kept dropping (down to 9v) until the computer screen turned off. Battery completely discharged. Jump started it to get home and was OK, but voltage continued to fluctuate, but not dropping below 12v even at low revs.

Taken the charging system to bits. I've checked the stator - does what the service manual says it should (56v per lead at 4000 rpm), battery is new, starter motor relay is working properly. Regulator / rectifier failed again on multimeter testing.

Anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening?

Could it be a fault in the main relay box - which is the only thing I haven't been able to check because one way screens prevent removal to check - has another starter relay in it?

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

Thanks Tim and Megawatt

Tim I'm being a bit dense here. When you say check battery earth leads on both ends, can you explain a bit more what you mean?

Both of the replacement reg/recs were new - aftermarket ones.

I'm going to try a second hand original in case that works better.

Will try the GTR forum! Thanks for the advice both

Thanks Tim and Megawatt

Tim I'm being a bit dense here. When you say check battery earth leads on both ends, can you explain a bit more what you mean?

Both of the replacement reg/recs were new - aftermarket ones.

I'm going to try a second hand original in case that works better.

Will try the GTR forum! Thanks for the advice both

Earth lead connection to frame and engine can cause issues if not a clean connection

The thing with aftermarket rec / regs or anything else for that matter is that just because you pay £30 - £50 for one it doesn't mean that it isn't a £13.99 marked up to make you believe its of superior quality. There is a reputable brand called Electrex available in the UK that I believe often exceed the manufacturers specs.