Motorbike stalls when put in First

Carter101

I have a problem with my 125cc. I can put it in first and it rides well but then when i come to a stop and drop it to first it completely stalls and takes a few mins to turn back on.

Any help on this would be great.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place not sure where to put it.

Is the new carb stock or an attempt at tuning? Is it set up to standard jetting with the pilot screw set correctly?

Is the clutch free or has it possibly seized? My CX500 would stall going into first (bear in mind it sat for over 30 years) until I changed the clutch.

Is the new carb stock or an attempt at tuning? Is it set up to standard jetting with the pilot screw set correctly?

Is the clutch free or has it possibly seized? My CX500 would stall going into first (bear in mind it sat for over 30 years) until I changed the clutch.

The new carb is stock. I have set it to factory settings. Also the clutch is free because I can put it in first and it rides but then the bike just cuts out when slowing down

Does it do it if you give it a bit of extra throttle as you change down?

Does it do it if you don't change down? E.g. Come to a stop in 2nd.

Carb is definitely your most likely suspect if no other issues to go with it, as for idle set at right speed when was it set? Was engine fully warm? Is it doing it every single time or when it's hot/cold?

Give it a tweak up a bit see if it makes a difference

Does it do it if you give it a bit of extra throttle as you change down?

Does it do it if you don't change down? E.g. Come to a stop in 2nd.

Carb is definitely your most likely suspect if no other issues to go with it, as for idle set at right speed when was it set? Was engine fully warm? Is it doing it every single time or when it's hot/cold?

Give it a tweak up a bit see if it makes a difference

I set the idle speed when it was fully warmed up. Yes it does it everytime and takes a minute or two to turn back on.

What bike is it?

Check that the fuel flow from the tank isn't being restricted. Could be the case that the float bowl is filling and you're using the fuel when you start to move, and then the supply in the bowl is dwindling.

did it run ok before changing carb ?

Why have you changed the carb ?

I changed the carb because old one was cutting out when I took choke was off and also fuel/air screw was missing

if you had issues prior to carb change you may have an air leak ... hence old carb only run on choke and new carb struggles to run properly .

check all pipework is intact and carb to engine rubber is not leaking .