Honda Shadow VLX Carb Jetting..

thevoyager

Just looking for some light guidance..

We assumed I needed to go bigger on the jets, my main was 135 and pilot was 40...

I have seen online from TJ BRUTAL who know these bikes inside out, for a VLX that is running straight exhaust and modified air intake he suggest 142 or 145 on main and 42 or 45 on piliot. I was thinking 142 and 42 as I had some air resistance, running foam pods (not straight velocity stacks).

Would anyone agree with me on this, want to try nail it right on first time.

Also, these 'shims/washers', are these crucial and if so howe many and where do they go, on the topside of the needle?

Just looking for some light guidance..

We assumed I needed to go bigger on the jets, my main was 135 and pilot was 40...

I have seen online from TJ BRUTAL who know these bikes inside out, for a VLX that is running straight exhaust and modified air intake he suggest 142 or 145 on main and 42 or 45 on piliot. I was thinking 142 and 42 as I had some air resistance, running foam pods (not straight velocity stacks).

Would anyone agree with me on this, want to try nail it right on first time.

Also, these 'shims/washers', are these crucial and if so howe many and where do they go, on the topside of the needle?

Shim washers go under the jet needle circlip so that you can fine tune the needle position by increments that are in-between the grooves on the needles .

Got a pic of it on needle?

Quite a plain neede, never looked at the needle alone before..

I have seen some with a type of threaded washer that you screw up and down, I guess this is why I was suggested to use washers as mine doe not have that threaded washer on..?

Just to clarify, adding a waher will bring the needle up (which you can view lookign down into the carb, what does it do making it higher? Allow more fuel in?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2yx3rqd.jpg

Most needles have five grooves and a circlip on. You can move it from one groove to another, about 1mm apart. The washer is normally 1/2 mm thick.

You can do yours with more or less washers.

Yes it allows more fuel in at mid throttle openings.