Sprint ST 1050 engine problem (?)

Liveware Problem

Me again :roll:

I've found that when accelerating hard in gears 4-6 there seems be a strange 'flat spot' around 6 - 7k rpm, the engine note changes and though the speed continues to rise the revs seem to pause around this spot, almost like hitting a limiter, and even fall back slightly (e.g. 7k down to 6.5k) whilst I'm still hard on the throttle, then continue on upwards.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this, maybe [mention]Tango[/mention] or [mention]NeilM[/mention] ?

I'm not 100% there's actually a problem, maybe I'm just not used to a triple? :?

Me again :roll:

I've found that when accelerating hard in gears 4-6 there seems be a strange 'flat spot' around 6 - 7k rpm, the engine note changes and though the speed continues to rise the revs seem to pause around this spot, almost like hitting a limiter, and even fall back slightly (e.g. 7k down to 6.5k) whilst I'm still hard on the throttle, then continue on upwards.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this, maybe @Tango or @NeilM ?

I'm not 100% there's actually a problem, maybe I'm just not used to a triple? :?

I think mine does slightly lump out.

Although to be honest it's only noticeable if you are looking for it.

I found the triple took a while to get used to.

If it is a similar issue I don't think you have anything to worry about

Thanks for the replies :)

Yes it is the stock exhaust, I can't be certain about the headers but I guess they are probably stock if the exhaust is?

Today I was travelling quite quickly in 6th gear, rolled on the throttle some more and the revs 'jumped' from 7 - 9k almost instantaneously.. that can't be right, can it!?

:stupid: sounds more like a clutch issue.

My fuelling issue the bike bogs at 6k rpm and picks back up again, no extra revs or anything.

Stick it in top gear at about 30-35mph and open the throttle, if it's the clutch it'll rev a lot more than it should as the clutch slips.

If the revs increase and your speed doesn't, then your clutch is slipping.

but reading previous post

"the engine note changes and though the speed continues to rise the revs seem to pause around this spot,"

would suggest its not clutch slip as speed increases

but then reading the secondary post would give impression of clutch slip

Have you just bought bike and wonder if previous had aftermarket exhsust on and removed and not remapped to standard exhaust

Yep , unfortunately it is at high speed and high gears that clutch slip often first presents itself . Not pulling away hard in low gears as you might expect.

but reading previous post

"the engine note changes and though the speed continues to rise the revs seem to pause around this spot,"

would suggest its not clutch slip as speed increases

but then reading the secondary post would give impression of clutch slip

Have you just bought bike and wonder if previous had aftermarket exhsust on and removed and not remapped to standard exhaust

Yes sorry I have been slightly contradictory.

But from what yourself and others have said, with the revs 'jumping' from higher in the band as I'm accelerating and going up through the gears, clutch slipping sounds highly likely :(

I guess I should have learned after my first two bikes that a 'cheap deal' from a private seller is likely to be a false economy :bang:

Clutch slip or drag can be a problem on these bikes.......but replacing the clutch plates is a doddle...... 8-)

I think what you think of as a doddle may be slightly different to my idea of a doddle, changing clutch plates sounds more like 'nightmarish oily disaster with lots of cursing' :lol:

[mention]megawatt[/mention] Thanks, very kind offer, I have arranged for the local shop to fit a new clutch and headstock bearings.. supposed to be going on a ride out on Sunday so I hope that can do it this Saturday.

Some people love giving money away.

Just doing my bit, supporting local businesses :lol:

I really don't have the time to learn how to do it, and If I ever want to ride my bike rather than have it lying around in pieces for most of the year then a garage is the only option. Albeit an expensive one!

That being said my buying history is pretty awful so have made a rod for my own back there.