Yamaha FZS 600 (2001)

Speedmaster865

Thanks Mike.

Only paperwork I have is the V5.

I was told that the key has a chip.

But I now think that its later models that have that.

Order a blank from eBay and get it cut at your local key place.

If it doesn't work on it's own but does when you hold the original near the headstock then you have a chip.

You can probably get a replacement with transponder easily enough.

I have no idea if this is the same:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YZF-R1-R6-FZ1-FZ4-FZ6-FZ8-XJ6-XJR-Schlussel-Rohling-Transponder-ID69/152602096860?hash=item2387cb34dc%3Ag%3ANPAAAOSw9~5ZUldx&_sacat=0&_nkw=fz6+key+transponder&_from=R40&rt=nc

And then a process to program the transponder to the ECU:

1.Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON". The immobilizer indicator light should come on for 1 second and then go off.

2.With the red key still in the ignition, start the engine.

3.Shut off the engine and remove the red key. The immobilizer indicator light should start to blink after 30 seconds.

4.Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON", then "OFF" and then remove the key within 5 seconds.

5.Insert the black key into the ignition and turn it to "ON" within 5 seconds.

6.While the immobilizer indicator light is flashing, turn the black key to "OFF" and then remove the key.

7.Wait for the immobilizer indicator light to stop flashing. It should stop 5 seconds after you remove the black key.

8.If everything went OK, then you can use the black key to start the engine.

I had to do something similar with a few cars over the years but never had a bike new enough with a chip in it.

I have checked and definitely has a chipped key.

I've had a spare key cut, and it operates the ignition normally. But the immobiliser prevents the engine from turning over to start.

If I hold the old key against the key/ lock housing, and the new key inserted, the engine starts ok.