Cb500 ticking

Zyxol

Hi there.

I have a year 2000 cb500. Just recently i have noticed a quiet, random ticking noise coming from the engine.

Its not a knocking and doesnt seem to be affecting performance. It is not there when in neutral or with the clutch in.

It sort of sounds like there is a small stone inside getting kicked about. I can hear it in 1st and 2nd but after 2 and a half thousand revs i suspect the engine noise covers it over.

I have checked oil level, i have cleaned and checked the chain. Both are fine

I did recently drop the bike, not sure if that's coincidence. I also stupidly pulled away with a chain still on by back wheel, no lock, just the chain so that pulled around, only one turn of the back wheel. That's the only two stupid things I've done. Other than that i use the bike to commute around London.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.

Could be the clutch. Have a look at the cable at both ends, the actuator arm, then strip the clutch.

Cheers for the suggestion. What would i be looking for on the cable ends?

***UPDATE***

This morning the sound was almost gone, it came back as the engine heated up. Its been 1000miles since last oil change but the guy i bought it off used some shitty generic oil. Could the oil be knackered?

Make sure you have clearance of at least 1/8" at the handlebar lever to the perch. Check adjusters are properly tightened up. Check that actuator works smoothly. If noise goes when clutch lever pulled in, problem is probably clutch internals.

Make sure you have clearance of at least 1/8" at the handlebar lever to the perch. Check adjusters are properly tightened up. Check that actuator works smoothly. If noise goes when clutch lever pulled in, problem is probably clutch internals.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out tonight.

Clutch internals sounds expensive :crybaby:

Not necessarily expensive - depends what the problem is.

Once stripped, check, clean and if all OK, re-assemble.

:cheers:

AND...if you stick a bit of wood under the back wheel and put the bike on the side stand you can usually strip a clutch without draining the oil .

Amazing, thanks guys. :thumb:

If the whole clutch is trashed ....https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB-500-F-2013-2015-CLUTCH/273218412127?hash=item3f9d161e5f:g:N-MAAOSwvDpa~Uqy