Bike Chain

Slowlycatchymonkey

Every bike is different, but generally you should be at least giving the chain a quick once over every ride - checking tension and condition.

If it needs adjusted, then cleaning it at the same time makes sense to me.

Depending on the weather conditions will depend on how often it needs cleaned. Dry and dusty conditions and/or wet conditions and it will need cleaned more often.

The "top"/ middle of the chain is where it should be lubed. If it's dry there... then it's wearing the chain and sprockets more than it's meant too.

And yes, clean like a push bike chain.

Every bike is different, but generally you should be at least giving the chain a quick once over every ride - checking tension and condition.

If it needs adjusted, then cleaning it at the same time makes sense to me.

Depending on the weather conditions will depend on how often it needs cleaned. Dry and dusty conditions and/or wet conditions and it will need cleaned more often.

The "top"/ middle of the chain is where it should be lubed. If it's dry there... then it's wearing the chain and sprockets more than it's meant too.

And yes, clean like a push bike chain.

Oh I’ve not even looked at it once a week- oops. When I have looked at it the tensions been fine and I’ve not had to make any adjustments. Going to have to amend what I’m doing :thumb:

You eventually get a feel for what is "normal" for your bike. With the MSX I do check the tension every ride, as it can stay in spec for weeks, then all of a sudden get way to slack (crap adjusters on it)

My BMW however it is much more gradual, so I'll give it a nudge with my toe once a week or so. I it actually needs cleaned just now, because of all the dust in the air here. However it doesn't need adjusted to I am loathed to clean it, will seem like half a job! :lol: :roll:

Triumph recommend chain lube every 200 miles, more often if riding in difficult conditions. I use the trip 2 to remind me and reset it after every lube/check. Tyres should be checked before every ride. You never know when you are going to pick up a nail.

Thanks for that. I’m hoping when I check it tomoz I don’t have an “oh dear” moment! How often do you check your tyre pressure?

Me? Probably not enough! Generaly after it has been sitting still for a while, or it starts to feel "odd" around corners.

DO NOT CLEAN LIKE A PUSHBIKE CHAIN IF IT HAS O RINGS. Clean it with a soft brush using paraffin every month. Clean paraffin off with brake cleaner on a Terry towel until its bone dry. Lube with a dry ptfe lube, like Wurth, every 200 miles. Check tension every time you ride it. Lube it after a long ride, while it's hot.

Thanks all. Am going to have a look at the automatic dispensers. Shall be amending my sparse schedule accordingly! Don’t know what an o ring is though?

its effectively a seal.. that keeps grease inside the chain where a lot of wear would normally take place. They also keep grit and other contaminants out.. both attributes extend the life of the chain.

Thanks all. Am going to have a look at the automatic dispensers. Shall be amending my sparse schedule accordingly! Don’t know what an o ring is though?

its effectively a seal.. that keeps grease inside the chain where a lot of wear would normally take place. They also keep grit and other contaminants out.. both attributes extend the life of the chain.

Oh ok thanks, sounds like an expensive chain and not the sort you’d find on a Chinese 125!

Oh ok thanks, sounds like an expensive chain and not the sort you’d find on a Chinese 125!

They're fairly standard now.. been around since the early 1970s. In the early days they were expensive and restricted to certain machinery.. now they're practically standard on motorcycles of all kinds. even the cheapest.

They're fairly standard now.. been around since the early 1970s. In the early days they were expensive and restricted to certain machinery.. now they're practically standard on motorcycles of all kinds. even the cheapest.

Oh how can I tell what I have?

Take you keks off

Put a mirror behind you and bend over

Look over your shoulder -if you say ‘oh! ring ‘ there you have it

Or not !!!

send them an email and ask. [email protected]

send them an email and ask. [email protected]

Thanks might leave it a minute before bugging them as I’ve emailed them twice today asking what oil to use, if it’s a wet clutch and could they post me out a new brake lever owing to an oops in the car park rendering the other one a bit curvier than usual. Only £14 for a new brake lever though which sounds pretty good value.

Have we done this topic before? Or is it just déja vue? (classy 'é' :D )

I thought WD40 was a no-no for chains, an O ring killer. Or have I just been believing old wives' tales?

As a rule of thumb, I was told to lube every 300 miles, clean and lube every 900/1000 miles. But it depends on the kind of conditions you're riding in; I wouldn't clean the chain as often asthis if the bike doesn't see any rain.