Yamaha R1. Cant seem to figure it out

DannyD4vies91

Morning ladies and gents. A friend of mine as yamaha R1, with a strange problem. We can kick into all the gears but the bike doesn't move. Taken it to a few garages who claim theyve never seen anything like it. If anyone has experienced this problem or even point us in the right direction would be a great help. Can click into all gears. But chain goes nowhere almost like the bike is in neutral. Cheers. Any help will be much appreciated.

If you can stroke it through all the gears, but it feels like it's in neutral, then it's probably a gear selector fault. Could be just the detent spring or a broken selector dork spring. Often accessible from back of the clutch and the sump plate, if it has one.

Is there a Clutch in it??? Hence you can find gears but can't drive if the clutch plates are missing!!! Cant remember if you can look through oil filler to see clutch, and only R1 engines I have are buried deep in back of workshop, but check to see if plates are there??

If you can stroke it through all the gears, but it feels like it's in neutral, then it's probably a gear selector fault. Could be just the detent spring or a broken selector dork spring. Often accessible from back of the clutch and the sump plate, if it has one.

Will have a look cheers 👌

Is there a Clutch in it??? Hence you can find gears but can't drive if the clutch plates are missing!!! Cant remember if you can look through oil filler to see clutch, and only R1 engines I have are buried deep in back of workshop, but check to see if plates are there??

He was doing about 90mph when all this happened, bike was fine before. Is it a possibility that he could of lost them down the motorway? We'll have to check.

He was doing about 90mph when all this happened, bike was fine before. Is it a possibility that he could of lost them down the motorway? We'll have to check.

Yeah, you might find them on the hard shoulder

😂😂😂

Maybe the output shaft has snapped like a carrot or the sprocket has rounded off it's splines . Can you actually see that the output shaft is not driving the sprocket . Other than that perhaps the clutch nut has come undone.

Check the front sprocket is being driven by the engine and is not loose.

Seems a coincidence new chain and sprockets fitted 500 miles ago.

Didn't someone on here have the front sprocket nut fall off on an R6 some time ago?

As others have said, check the splines on the front sprocket and gearbox output shaft...... :wink:

Check the front sprocket is being driven by the engine and is not loose.

Seems a coincidence new chain and sprockets fitted 500 miles ago.

nuts come off and not sitting on spines/damaged splines i would wager

Didn't someone on here have the front sprocket nut fall off on an R6 some time ago?

As others have said, check the splines on the front sprocket and gearbox output shaft...... :wink:

Yarp, was on my FZ6, fairly common with Yahamas so I have since read. I use locking washer and threadlock now, no problems since. :)