honda vt 125 shadow throttle cable issues

ART-ADS

the cable on the vt is a push pull mechanism, I didn't realise that the return cable 'push' side was rusted until I changed the bars because it seemed to be working fine. the regular pull cable that you find on single cable throttles in In tact and I assume the spring in the carb is good because it snaps back shut afterwards. my question is would it be ok to solder the pull cable back together as it split pretty clean because the part right now is out of stock so I don't know how long that might take for it to be available. thoughts? is it necessary as the throttle is workin fine it seems but I wouldn't want the broken cable to snag and hold the throttle open down the road idk thoughts??

There is no "push" side - the double cable ensures that the carb is positively controlled both when opening and closing, thus allowing the use of a much lighter spring on the carb slide and giving a much lighter throttle action. As far as soldering the old cable back together goes, forget it. Can you obtain a length of wire cable of the appropriate dimensions and some new nipples? If so, you could make a new inner.

You don't necessarily need the closing cable, as long as the spring shuts the throttle quickly WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING AT FULL SPEED. I've binned closing cables on loads of bikes, but mainly four cylinders with extra springs on the throttle bar that operates all four throttles.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't necessarily need the closing cable, as long as the spring shuts the throttle quickly WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING AT FULL SPEED. I've binned closing cables on loads of bikes, but mainly four cylinders with extra springs on the throttle bar that operates all four throttles.

Couldn't have put it better , I too have often junked closing cables . As long as the throttle snaps shut you're ok .