Advice Please

Mickly

I’ve had the cam cover of the Trophy powder coated.

I’m now using a sharpening stone to remove the coating on the fins and the text. ( see pic where I have done the Triumph text ) 4DF76716-D529-4916-AFCE-F2871D2FF701.thumb.jpeg.d91650f61fdfec139cf7a784a7c857d6.jpeg

The trouble I’ve got is that the sharpening stone has become clogged up - does anyone know how to clean the ally swarf out of the stone ? I’ve tried a brass wire brush.

Also having exposed the ally can I lacquer the complete cover to prevent it corroding?

Thanks.

How about making up some sanding blocks instead using emery paper and some bits of wood . I use these on my model planes . I use superglue to attach one end of the paper to the back of the block and stretch the paper tightly round then glue the other end to the back also . This makes them flat and reusable .

Old silicone sealant that has set is good for cleaning sanding belts, might be worth a try if you have an old tube knocking about that has gone off.

On second thoughts is it really worth sanding through that powder coating ? If you do then you're asking a lot of any lacquer. Getting it to stick to raw ally without flaking off or turning yellow is one thing but sticking to powder coating is not something I have tried . How about using some high temperature silver paint on a roller to highlight the raised portions instead ?