Looks like i got an oil leak on my gaskets.

BIKERDAD

After my ride to day I parked my bike in the garage .As I was getting the bits off the bike I noticed that there was some small droplets of oil on the tank . (I'm doing some respray work on the bike so the tank don't have any lacquer on it ) so the wee spots was shiny looking . Then i spotter the front of the engine was covered in a very fine layer of oil and the fins on the side again thing spray of oil . So I wiped it all off and the rag is black with oil .so I checked the oil level and its still at max .every time I go out on my bike I check the oil or top it up . In the last 2 months of the hot weather i just topped it up with drops of oil very little top ups . It's a Honda cb750 P reg. I said to my bro in law and he said I need to strip the engine down and 're do all the gaskets ..

So is he right is there anything I can do apart from a full srtip down ... as indont have the skills to do it . I think My bro in.law does ( says he can do it ) but i dont want him to doing in case some thing goes wrong .. as i dont want a bag of engine parts

If the oil is at max it will push some oil out somewhere as its over filled! Usually through the crank breather!

The oil need to be between max and min

Lower the oil level give the bike a good clean and keep an eye on it!

Also check fork seals to make sure they aren't leaking and oil spraying back

You need to find out exactly where the oil is coming from , before you think of stripping it.

Absolutely, a leak from the cylinder head cover is an easy fix whereas a leak from the cylinder head gasket or cylinder base gasket is another matter altogether.

does it have an oil cooler ?

for oil at front of bike it has to come from in front of engine or the top of engine .

as Stu says Check fork seals ...

Oil level will be higher when hot so check when tepid or cold

Yes it's at the front the engine ... hmmmm I don't think it's that as the oil on the tank was not at the from the tankits was on the side by the tank badges .. I always check the oil when cold before I go out .. So if it's more oil when hot .as I keep.it on max I might have too much in there .. ok . As I said I'll keep it between max and min from now on and see how it.looks ..

I'm doing some paint work on the tank so all the lacuer is rubbed off this is how I spotted the oil spots on the tank .as they was shiny . I'll give the bike a clean sort out the oil then keep a watch on it .

How often do you change the oil on a bike as its an old engine 70k but runs like a dream ..

If you want to get flash,try some fluorescent dye in the oil,OEMs use it on new engines etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torch-Detection-Fluid-Petrol-Diesel/dp/B00TU9BHN6

Check your crankcase breather isn't blocked.

Would pressurise the crankcase and find the weakest escape route.

If you want to get flash,try some fluorescent dye in the oil,OEMs use it on new engines etc.

Dont want to sound a.dick but what is that ??? We're is that on cb750..

Dont want to sound a.dick but what is that ??? We're is that on cb750..

Don't know where the breather is specifically on the CB but most bikes have a hose off the top of the gearbox casing and links up to the air box.

Idea is any blowby and nasty un-environmentally friendly gases get sucked back into the engine and burnt off.

Hi no I don't have a manual iv asked at thunder road bridgend (Honda dealer) they say there no manual for my year. 1996 .. P reg . Or iv bought one .. mind that was 2 years ago unless there's one now I'll ask on Monday..

What you need to do is to thoroughly wash the bike and gunk the engine then when it is dry give it a bit of a run to get it hot. You should be able to see where it is leaking from. Judicious (and I do mean the smallest amount possible) application of a small amount of talcum powder can also reveal the location of slight oil weeps - just don't get it anywhere near the air intake.

What you need to do is to thoroughly wash the bike and gunk the engine then when it is dry give it a bit of a run to get it hot. You should be able to see where it is leaking from. Judicious (and I do mean the smallest amount possible) application of a small amount of talcum powder can also reveal the location of slight oil weeps - just don't get it anywhere near the air intake.

:stupid:

I have never tried this but I have heard it works really well

Like dusting for finger prints, what a good idea .

Off there tomorrow.. cleaned the bike even down under the bike by the center stand and wow the crap and oil grease mud under there was shocking .. bike about stone lighter lol . So do the dusting and see what .where it comes from . The oil rad is fine no oil or dirt on there as I had a real good look so unless it when its hot I'll have to wait and see

Ok ok ok .. right .. washed the bike cleaned all the crap off .used the £1 brush and my daughter's talc .puffed all what i could on went for a wee ride . Only 3 or 4 miles . Gets back...........

No oil at the top of the tank or on the sides I guess I didn't go fast enough as the other day me and my bro in law went zooming ..

So only bit oil is a very very thin spray at the front the engine up over the top of the engine I say a very small amount... nothing from the oil rad on the front that's working fab . Also the bike smells like roses ...

So it looks like it might be the top gasket .as its rubber . So I guess the rubber has perished a bit . Just washed all the talc of the bike the garages look like a murder scene with all white dust around as its got every where I did have a grey car now its white so i.got to wash that now ..ruddy stuff ..

So the rubber gasket on top the engine of a CB750F2N. Is it hard to do .so.i need to take the engine out .or get a garage to do it ..