How to maintain my bike

Muttly

Hello groovy gang.

As mentioned in another post I have a new Chinese made bike. I want to give myself the best chance of it lasting and want to follow the advice I was given to look after it. I shall buy a Haynes manual to how to do stuff but would like to know what to do? What should I do to look after a bike, how often etc? Thanks in advance

It all depends on how often you ride it, where and what kind of riding you do, weather conditions etc.

In terms of protecting the body - treat it with ACF50 making sure you avoid getting it on the brakes, pedals, footrests, tyre, grips. If riding in winter weather rinse salt and crap off it before you put it away. If possible invest in a compressor with an airgun or a dedicated bike drier. The more moisture you remove before putting it into a garage the better. If left outside use a cover that allows air to circulate. Trapping moisture is the worst thing you can do. Putting a wet bike into a warm garage is also very bad, the moisture plus higher temperature increases corrosion before the bike dries off.

I keep a hand pumped sprayer with good quality car body wash fluid by the garage door for those times when the bikes comes home filthy. It's enough to wash off crud without being too powerful and getting into bearings and electronics. If you use a pressure washer be circumspect around the electronics and I avoid blasting directly at bearings.

Engine - change the oil and filters as per specified. If you do a lot of shorter runs change the oil more frequently. Personally I change my oil every 2k anyway (5k on my cars) - it's not that oil loses ability to lubricate, it's the detergents that wear out so the oil stops cleaning the inside of the engine, deposits start to collect and oil flow is reduced. Use good quality oil and filters.

Tyres - keep at the right pressure and inspect for cuts regularly. Wheels - if spokes check them regularly. Make sure any balance weight stay in place.

Chain - keep the tension right, good chain maintenance will reduce the frequency of adjustments. I prefer to use wax, it doesn't fling off, it clings well, it is dry so doesn't attract grit which then gets turning into a grinding paste. But some people like using oils, or even a Scottoiler device. Your bike, your choice.

Ignition barrel - graphite is the best way to keep these working smoothly.

Battery - invest in either a decent intelligent maintenance charger (eg Optimate or CTEK) but I prefer to also use a timer so they are active for an hour a day rather than permanently on. Or buy a cheap low amp (500Ma or less) gell cell charger and also use on a timer. Or a solar panel charger - they can be left permanently attached as they only charge at a trickle during daylight hours. For convenience fit a lead to the battery that allows you to connect easily.

Thank you very much. It’s only now I realise I don’t have an owners handbook. Bought the bike just before a big and stressful house move so some stuff I would normally think about has slipped my mind. Thank you for the advice.

Thank you very much. It’s only now I realise I don’t have an owners handbook. Bought the bike just before a big and stressful house move so some stuff I would normally think about has slipped my mind. Thank you for the advice.

then get one from the dealer from whom you bought it.

Will do thanks for the advice again.

Or download it.

If it is brand new, it will need the first service and possibly some subsequent ones to maintain any warranty at the supplying dealer, or recognised service agent. Also when you come to sell it this will be reflected in the value.

If it is brand new, it will need the first service and possibly some subsequent ones to maintain any warranty at the supplying dealer, or recognised service agent. Also when you come to sell it this will be reflected in the value.

Being Chinese the service schedule will be ridiculous and work out very expensive.

Not going to say this is good advice but personally I only did 1st service on mine, others I've done myself and to hell with warranty, resell value will be poor anyway and what I've now saved on cost of keeping service schedule through an authorized dealer would cover the cost of any repair if something did go wrong.

Before expiry of warranty - Service at a dealer or reputable garage and ensure book is stamped.

After expiry of warranty - Self service BUT follow the recommended service intervals; checks and replacement schedule.

Keep drive chain clean, oiled and at correct tension.

Do not store the bike wet - allow to dry before covering / garaging

Spray/wipe with ACF50 monthly as part of regular cleaning routine.

:cheers:

Spray/wipe with ACF50 monthly as part of regular cleaning routine.

:cheers:

Or, thoroughly clean and dry the bike then apply ACF50 liberally to all exposed metal before winter comes round, then you don't have to bother washing too much in winter as it's all protected. I've done this for the last two years and have no new corrosion issues where the treatment is applied. Just use a hose to quickly wash off road salt etc and job's a good un. It gets another deep clean once the roads aren't being salted anymore.

Again, thank you all :-)

Going to clean the bike and have a really good look at it this weekend. Next payday buy some spanners.

Use the bike's tool kit as a guide to what you need, size wise. You may only need spanners to adjust the chain and for the mirrors if they go lose. See what size they are. You may just need sockets that are 8 or 10mm for jobs like removing the front sprocket cover (for effective chain cleaning) and a decent screwdriver and set of allen/hex keys for any panel removal.

Again, thank you all :-)

Going to clean the bike and have a really good look at it this weekend. Next payday buy some spanners.

Use the bike's tool kit as a guide to what you need, size wise. You may only need spanners to adjust the chain and for the mirrors if they go lose. See what size they are. You may just need sockets that are 8 or 10mm for jobs like removing the front sprocket cover (for effective chain cleaning) and a decent screwdriver and set of allen/hex keys for any panel removal.

Hush! Do not say this too loudly. I've spent years persuading my wife I really do need 9 socket sets, various collections of ratchets and spanners, jack's, compressor, welder, a multitude of screwdrivers, pliers, grips, lighting, breaker bars, torque wrenches, oil filter removers, a work bench, vice, and a mobile tool cabinet.

...Hush! Do not say this too loudly. I've spent years persuading my wife I really do need 9 socket sets, various collections of ratchets and spanners, jack's, compressor, welder, a multitude of screwdrivers, pliers, grips, lighting, breaker bars, torque wrenches, oil filter removers, a work bench, vice, and a mobile tool cabinet.

You take all these on the bike?

...Hush! Do not say this too loudly. I've spent years persuading my wife I really do need 9 socket sets, various collections of ratchets and spanners, jack's, compressor, welder, a multitude of screwdrivers, pliers, grips, lighting, breaker bars, torque wrenches, oil filter removers, a work bench, vice, and a mobile tool cabinet.

You take all these on the bike?

I have a very big top box!

Thanks for this :)

Spend the weekend doing some maintenance on my bike as due to it being a 125 even though its only 3 it's certainly been passed around without much care. The chain took over an hour to clean and was absolutely RANCID. Much cleaner and nicer now!

Oil and spark plug were in good nick but changed it anyway so there's a log going forward (we have no logs from the old owner).

The more general, easier cleaning stuff begins tonight!

Being Chinese the service schedule will be ridiculous and work out very expensive.

Not going to say this is good advice but personally I only did 1st service on mine, others I've done myself and to hell with warranty, resell value will be poor anyway and what I've now saved on cost of keeping service schedule through an authorized dealer would cover the cost of any repair if something did go wrong.

Yeah, remove sump plug, drain engine oil, remove engine from frame, install new engine, and refit sump plug and add oil.. just don't cross thread it else you'll need a new sump plug too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this :)

Spend the weekend doing some maintenance on my bike as due to it being a 125 even though its only 3 it's certainly been passed around without much care. The chain took over an hour to clean and was absolutely RANCID. Much cleaner and nicer now!

Oil and spark plug were in good nick but changed it anyway so there's a log going forward (we have no logs from the old owner).

The more general, easier cleaning stuff begins tonight!

......despite some of the previous comments, well done on getting to grips with your bike, Elizabeth. Have you got a manual for it? Haynes or Clymer are usually good but you can often find the factory manuals on the interweb.....but sometimes the Haynes/Clymer books explain things in a manner that is more understandable for the beginner. Keeping records is good, make sure you keep any receipts for maintenance itrms as well as any farkles you might add.

FWIW, the landlady at our local pub is also a time-served engineer - NOT a fitter - and I often have some interesting (mechanical) conversations with her. Her tool kit has to be seen to be believed! (And, also FWIW, there was, once again, no innuendo implied!)

She has, somewhat unsurprisingly, especially strong opinions on the best thing to do with left-handed spanners. Not involving vaselene. :shock:

Edited by Anonymous

Just so we can establish a baseline on what is and what is not an acceptable level of competence when it comes to motorcycle maintenance.....may I direct interested readers to one of the other channels, namely BCF. Don't know if this is allowed - if not, mods please delete.

But if it's OK, when you get there, do an author search on "JiveBunny", sit back, and enjoy. This guy supposedly had an R6 in the garage, but used a Daelim 125 as his everyday ride.

Yeah, sure. :roll:

And then he attempted to maintain the Daelim. And attempted, and attempted and attempted........... :popcorn:

Edited by Anonymous