Help about which oils to use

maxrpg

Hi again,

I have a SYM Jet 4-125 and need to change the oils but I'm so lost. I am a complete newb and I apologise if my questions sound so silly but I don't want to get it wrong and completely wreck my bikes engine.

The user guide I downloaded says the bike is limited to use the following:

Engine Oil: SAE 10W-30 API SH/CD

Gear Oil: SAE 85W-140

I googled both and the gear oil seems simple enough to find but as for the engine oil I just don't know, can't find any with API SH/CD in description and don't even know what it means lol

Can you recommend some oils for me based on the information above?

Thank you so much

You can basically ignore the sh/cd ratings as they are obsolete and date back to the 1990s (1996)

What they say though is any oil manufactured from that time to the present is just perfect. That's any bike oil that doesn't say something like "Classic" in its name... Those are for antique engines (basically) and are often sold in a tin can... Just to make it look nicely old fashioned.

Most bike manuals would say something like SH or later. SH was followed by SJ in 2001, SL in 2004, SM in early 2010. So any of those are perfect too... If you can find them.

SN is the latest... And dates from late 2010 and is widely available. It may even have been superseded by now.

So, what you want is a semi synthetic motorcycle engine oil: SAE 10W-30 API SN. Any big brand will do. Like Shell, Mobil and so on.

10w-30 is a little unusual , most four stoke bikes use 10w-40 . Anyway, if you're new to biking you may be a little shocked at the price of good quality motorcycle oil but if you want your bike to last that's the price you will have to pay . ( For goodness sake let's not have the old car oil versus bike oil argument all over again ) Here you go , other brands are available . https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-914-motul-5100-4t-10w-30-semi-synthetic-motorcycle-engine-oil.aspx

I didn't mention opie... As they are mail order, which is a little extravagant with additional postage costs, for a bike that probably only uses 1 litre.

£11 from halfords for an appropriate Castrol.

Castrol Power 1 4T 10W/30 API SL

I didn't mention opie... As they are mail order, which is a little extravagant with additional postage costs, for a bike that probably only uses 1 litre.

£11 from halfords for an appropriate Castrol.

Castrol Power 1 4T 10W/30 API SL

I quite agree, I was just using Opie as a rough guide to show that if you want good oil you have to pay for it . I didn't notice any 10w30 Castrol in Halfords, only the 10w40 .