ZZR 600 (E) Restricted Itself

leener

Part of me is wondering if it's for the best and I should just leave it be, because I want to keep a clean license.

Anyway, I have basically "street-fightered" a 93' ZZR600 because of several reasons.

1) It was ugly as hell

2) The paintwork and fairings were just such a horrible state

3) I want something that just runs and doesn't matter if I drop or bin it

4) I want to easily be able to work on it in the future without having to disassemble a mountain of plastic.

The forks were a disgrace and the front tyre was already getting low on tread, but was ridden its final trip for miles while going flat.

I have used an angle grinder, drill, filing tools, a Triumph Sprint front end that had a virtually new tyre on, and turned it into a Trisaki, that became the smoothest ride imaginable, compared to how it was. Everything went together with some light mods, and the bike just glides.

Plus, I mounted the Triumph brakes to it, which definitely improved braking!

Also, the baffles are without any wadding, so is rather loud (so people can hear me approaching - this has made a huge difference to how many people pull out into my path!) Hopefully not going to result in a noise complaint.

The problem was fitting the ram air intakes, which essentially became two big hoses facing front from the frame, plus two smaller ones on a single link pipe (Y shape), which I fed and bracketed under the headlight.

The smaller hoses (from memory) feed into the carb to dump more air into the mix.

This all worked a treat until last night when I hit the biggest dipping great pot hole you've ever seen.

I noted an instant hesitation above 60mph, and that was because the smaller air intakes under the light had jumped out of the hoses from the shire force of the impact.

I reconnected and secured it all at home, started and ran it for a bit to find everything seemed OK, not that you can tell without riding it.

Then came this morning's commute to work.

I did the usual filtering for about seven miles without a hitch, and began up the slip road to the motorway.

My little 600 struggled to do its usual rocket impression, and when I hit 70mph, it refuses to push harder.

If you twist the throttle back, it only sounds grungier, but doesn't affect how fast it's going.

If you crank it all the way then it will eventually push through and start hitting 75, and onward.

Something tells me that this is going to be an airflow issue again, but I wanted to see if any of the experienced guys and girls who know a thing or two can give me any more clues before I pull it all apart again.

I have ridden it at an average top speed of 60mph today and still burnt the same, if not more fuel than usual.

I think I'll be checking the plugs tomorrow, too.

*** Edit ***

Just remembered that last night I added premium fuel instead of regular by mistake... Quite a lot of it.

Is this possibly going to cause issues?

Just remembered that last night I added premium fuel instead of regular by mistake... Quite a lot of it.

Is this possibly going to cause issues?

...Unless it was premium diesel, no.

have a look to see if the carbs have come out of the intake rubbers! I have seen this happen after hitting a big bump! or the air box could have popped off

I do see a big lip / gap appeared between the airbox and the carb, which is definitely not seated correctly.

I managed to get back by doing 60mph down the M5. Any faster is a problem.

Clutching at straws with the "I used wrong fuel" idea. I just don't fancy taking it all apart again. I've already butchered it so much.

It was like a 125 but uses ten times the fuel. In fact I was nearly empty, on arrival, which is far from normal.

If you take off in 1st or 2nd,its not too bad.

Whack it into 3rd or 4th and crank the throttle, then she really bogs down with the strain.

If it isn't raining too much tomorrow then I'll get to work again.

Many thanks for the replies so far.

Currently, it's the rat bike that my colleagues keep calling, "black death". Probably thanks to the baffles being removed. That or because I tend to blow things up a lot.

20180825_201140.thumb.jpg.98aebd374650ba476108d266cc038403.jpg

its still early in the evening pop out and get it running and squirt some wd40 or something like that around the rubbers and see if the engine runs differently it will soon confirm if something is amiss

Plugs look normal and no worrying signs.

The first thing I noted was a strong smell of petrol.

The fuel line wasn't exactly connected very well anymore.

I found the air box totally caked in crud and a couple of dead flies.

The air filter has definitely seen better days and the seal between the carb plate and the air box is totally perished.

I gave the fuel lines , filter , and pump a clean up, then cleaned up the air box and hoses.

The carb is still in the intakes with no play.

I'll order a new filter and, some 8mm bore lines, and try to find a new seal for the carb.

It looks like it could have been a fuel starvation, coupled with poor running from the airflow.

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaned the airbox, filter, checked plugs, checked all connections and hoses are where they should be, and all is set exactly as it should be.

Problem still not resolved, and is actually worse.

The bike had no issues prior to clubbing a pot hole, which noticeably disconnected the inlet hoses, which I have learnt go to the float bowls of the carburettor.

The hoses were re-connected, but made no difference.

My next worry is going to be focused on the carburettor (yet again).

While it is out and most of the stuff is apart, I might as well get stuck in checking the valve clearances. But I am worried that we have maybe a split diaphragm or something else sinister going on in the carb.