HT lead on gsx600f

williamwillis1987

If its the same fixing as a GSXR its held in by a ridiculously fragile little clip that costs a fortune to replace. Most people end up zip tying the lead in somehow. I've had to do mine but I can't remember exactly how . As long as there is good contact you'll be alright.

First , chop about a quarter of a inch off and then screw it onto the spike . I'm surprised its as basic as that by the way , I was expecting to see evidence of some retaining clips , screw on caps or compression olives .

• 4 weeks later...

I would add something although I am late to the party.

There is low voltage and high voltage high voltage is anything above 1000 volts. Electricity changes its behaviour when it is high voltage. It can jump gaps and travels by the most convenient route.

Low voltage wires and cables can be worked on with good expectation of success, With high voltage you have much less margin for error. High voltage seems to have a mind of its own and will bite you if it can.

A motorbike will generate 8000 volts on the High Tension circuit, this can jump an 8mm air gap and punch its way through insulation that has deteriorated significantly. I doubt your insulation is in such a poor state but the failure with the connector is an indicator that it is wise now to swap the cable.

In a distributor that is old, tracking sometimes can be seen, this it where the high voltage has punched its way across the distributor surface burning it and the voltage then runs along this track causing a failure in the ignition system.

Insulation needs to be of high quality or voltages drain away, even a layer of road grime on the outside of the cable can cause losses and the result is loss of spark and poor running. This is why the high voltage leads HT lead and plug leads are often changed for new after a few years service.

If the HT lead has come adrift it would be wise to replace it, that would ensure that the Voltage is preserved with no losses along the length of the cable. I would change the plug leads as well as the HT lead as they probably are suffering some deterioration if the HT lead is.

A healthy spark means a healthy ignition and a good burn, keep the HT parts in top condition and the bike has the best chance of being reliable.