Does this optimate connector need waterproofing?

Beans

I've bought a converter cable that adapts the old style optimate tm plug to the new sae plug. As it connects to the end of the existing lead, which is permanently exposed but usually sealed with a waterproof cap, I'm wondering if I need to do something to weatherproof this new connection. Its the white connectors shown at the bottom of this pic:38070167.thumb.jpg.73de85a550d255920d2467ab3c006453.jpg

Do I need to get some heatshrink or sheathing over it, or cover it in tape? Its going to be a permanent fixture. The connection is good and tight, I'm just wondering how it will stand up to rain, washing and rear wheel spray given its hanging out there.

I could yes. Its got a battery indicator display built in to the usb charger that goes on the sae end, that shows how much charge the battery has whether or not the usb charger is actually being used. It would be slightly more convenient just to leave that in situ. That end is well sealed, its just this intermediate connection that I can't suss out if its waterproof

No Bob. That end hangs outside of the bike, so you can connect a charger easily

The OTHER end . Like the OP says , the WHITE end at the bottom of the picture.

I've bought a converter cable that adapts the old style optimate tm plug to the new sae plug. As it connects to the end of the existing lead, which is permanently exposed but usually sealed with a waterproof cap, I'm wondering if I need to do something to weatherproof this new connection. Its the white connectors shown at the bottom of this pic:38070167.jpg

Do I need to get some heatshrink or sheathing over it, or cover it in tape? Its going to be a permanent fixture. The connection is good and tight, I'm just wondering how it will stand up to rain, washing and rear wheel spray given its hanging out there.

Sounds like you're asking permission, if you want to tape it up or heat shrink it just go ahead , what's the worst that can happen ?

I've bought a converter cable that adapts the old style optimate tm plug to the new sae plug. As it connects to the end of the existing lead, which is permanently exposed but usually sealed with a waterproof cap, I'm wondering if I need to do something to weatherproof this new connection. Its the white connectors shown at the bottom of this pic:38070167.jpg

Just keep the new cable under the seat and only connect it when you're actually charging the battery. Job done.

Edited to add: What Raesewell said above. Duh - must stop jumping in. My bad.

.. The connection is good and tight, I'm just wondering how it will stand up to rain, washing and rear wheel spray given its hanging out there.

Sounds like you're asking permission, if you want to tape it up or heat shrink it just go ahead , what's the worst that can happen ?

I was asking if that style of connection needed waterproofing but yeah I could just cover it in insulation tape

Why not just get a SAE lead connected directly to the battery, Do away with the little white connection altogether and one less connection to go wrong.

Because I just bought a converter, mike

.. The connection is good and tight, I'm just wondering how it will stand up to rain, washing and rear wheel spray given its hanging out there.

I was asking if that style of connection needed waterproofing but yeah I could just cover it in insulation tape

Enjoy, remember to tuck the end under on the roll so you can find it next time.

Why not just get a SAE lead connected directly to the battery, Do away with the little white connection altogether and one less connection to go wrong.

Because I just bought a converter, mike

return it and get the correct one

I must be missing something here. Why not just stick the opimate lead on the battery and have the charging port in it's waterproof rubber cover hanging out wherever you want it ? As previously mentioned, why buy a converter when you could avoid all this hassle by simply buying the correct lead ?

I must be missing something here. Why not just stick the opimate lead on the battery and have the charging port in it's waterproof rubber cover hanging out wherever you want it ? As previously mentioned, why buy a converter when you could avoid all this hassle by simply buying the correct lead ?

It started out as me wanting to charge a phone whilst riding. I was caught out with a phone that went flat using Google maps. So I got told that the existing socket on my bike was an optimate, but with an old-style TM plug. I then googled tm to usb and the optimate lead such a search returns is in 2 parts: TM to SAE, which we're discussing here, then SAE TO USB which I have to say is lovely and watertight. Exhibit A: https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/o100-tm-usb-charger

It didn't dawn on me at the point of ordering said lead, to wonder if the TM/SAE end was also waterproof. With the benefit of hindsight...

It then, upon receipt and fitting, did occur to me to question the robustness of this. It seemed an innocent and reasonable thing to wonder, if the TM SAE connection, because its so solid, is also able to survive exposure to the elements. Rather than finding out the hard way when my phone wouldn't charge, say, I posed this question instead to the assembled lynch party here in all good faith. I was hoping for a "yeah its good enough to last as it is", with a worse case answer being "get some heatshrink/tape/etc over it"

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition but I take full responsibility for the situation and having discarded the package I guess I have to make the best of it.

. My bad.

It started out as me wanting to charge a phone whilst riding. I was caught out with a phone that went flat using Google maps. So I got told that the existing socket on my bike was an optimate, but with an old-style TM plug. I then googled tm to usb and the optimate lead such a search returns is in 2 parts: TM to SAE, which we're discussing here, then SAE TO USB which I have to say is lovely and watertight. Exhibit A: https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/o100-tm-usb-charger

It didn't dawn on me at the point of ordering said lead, to wonder if the TM/SAE end was also waterproof. With the benefit of hindsight...

It then, upon receipt and fitting, did occur to me to question the robustness of this. It seemed an innocent and reasonable thing to wonder, if the TM SAE connection, because its so solid, is also able to survive exposure to the elements. Rather than finding out the hard way when my phone wouldn't charge, say, I posed this question instead to the assembled lynch party here in all good faith. I was hoping for a "yeah its good enough to last as it is", with a worse case answer being "get some heatshrink/tape/etc over it"

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition but I take full responsibility for the situation and having discarded the package I guess I have to make the best of it.

. My bad.

Mate, nobody expects the Spanish inquisition !

8a9.gif.ebb262a467025dab0ad29fff38964429.gif

Edited by fastbob

Now you've gone and done it, we'll have to have the whole " Can I charge my phone when I'm riding along without it blowing up " debate all over again. I've just got a fag lighter style socket from Poundland with a couple of washers soldered on the wires and stuck under the battery bolts . It cost a pound.

Now you've gone and done it, we'll have to have the whole " Can I charge my phone when I'm riding along without it blowing up " debate all over again. I've just got a fag lighter style socket from Poundland with a couple of washers soldered on the wires and stuck under the battery bolts . It cost a pound.

Which just proves that most issues can be easily resolved if you're willing to chuck a shedload of money at it. A whole pound!