Expensive Lesson

Mickly

Or how to knacker up a cheap but perfectly usable electric sander.

So I was browsing the web for some info and found a vid of a guy who had created a DIY parts tumbler.

Following ( kind of ) his lead I screwed an old sweet tin to the plate of my sander, held the sander in a vice, put some cat litter in the tin along with a few fixings I need to clean up prior to plating , put the lid on and taped it shut.

Switched the sander on and it all started vibrating like a goodun.

I watched it for about 1/2 hour while having a tidy up then left it (the guy on the vid left it over night) coz my ears were ringing, went back 2 hours later and the sander was no longer working, just buzzing.

The parts are not clean and my sander is f**ked !!

So lesson learned!!

Let’s hope my home zinc plating experiment is more successful!!E79A9B25-7186-495B-8C27-D60647E8F40B.thumb.jpeg.c45a8dd1bf6d85f6ac1f9bee269ca21f.jpeg

Anyone seen sander racing ?

Yeh, but belt not orbital.....

Thanks for pointing out my error . I did wonder how they were travelling so fast in a straight line .

Consider the expected use of the source machinery some are designed for long periods of use like cement mixers and fridges. Some devices only work for brief periods like electric drills or sanders.

For projects that require lengthy extended use it is generally wiser to use more robust devices than sanders.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was browsing the web for some info and found a vid of a guy who had created a DIY parts tumbler.

Following ( kind of ) his lead I screwed an old sweet tin to the plate of my sander, held the sander in a vice, put some cat litter in the tin along with a few fixings I need to clean up prior to plating , put the lid on and taped it shut.

I watched it for about 1/2 hour while having a tidy up then left it (the guy on the vid left it over night) coz my ears were ringing, went back 2 hours later and the sander was no longer working, just buzzing.

So lesson learned!!

Let’s hope my home zinc plating experiment is more successful!!E79A9B25-7186-495B-8C27-D60647E8F40B.jpeg

This video you saw , was it on a channel called Ichiban Garage ? Hate to tell you this ( chuckle ) but this is a spoof website. The problem is that its all done so deadpan that many people believe it is real . Have a look at a few more vids and it will dawn on you that this is a total piss take aimed at bad YouTube advice and also having a dig at café racer builders .Sorry..😆

Oh b*llocks

Taken in hook line and sinker - b’stards.

Ichiban Moto , check out the one on cylinder reboring . Unfortunately many people are falling for these spoofs , just read some of the comments.

Also means the home zinc plating vid is b*llocks.

I hope the creator of this shite dies a horrible death, choking on their own vomit as the flames from the car crash that has claimed the lives of his family burn his bollocks to a crisp.

What a complete and utter C u next Tuesday.

I’d call him a w**ker but being a merkin he wouldn’t understand !!

So lesson learned!!

Let’s hope my home zinc plating experiment is more successful!!E79A9B25-7186-495B-8C27-D60647E8F40B.jpeg

This video you saw , was it on a channel called Ichiban Garage ? Hate to tell you this ( chuckle ) but this is a spoof website. The problem is that its all done so deadpan that many people believe it is real . Have a look at a few more vids and it will dawn on you that this is a total piss take aimed at bad YouTube advice and also having a dig at café racer builders .Sorry..😆

Effin' classic. I love the bit where he cut the screws off with a pocket knife. Can't wait to see the others.....

There's one where he's going through his tool box showing different things. "this is an american standard adjustable wrench" followed by this is a chinese version of the same which can be used for metric bolts as everyone knows its all metric over there" :lol:

So lesson learned!!

Effin' classic. I love the bit where he cut the screws off with a pocket knife. Can't wait to see the others..... Just looked at the dent removal video - top advice! Fastbob, you ar**, why didn't you put these up ages ago???

They're brilliant! Haven't laughed so much in ages! Have 5 Ichiban Moto points!

I had considered sharing this with the forum for some time but I was slightly concerned that someone might get the wrong end of the stick with potentially tragic consequences . At least one orbital sander has already been killed . 😆😆😆 I watched the cylinder re boring one today with the plastic spoons and the hand drill , oh dear..

So lesson learned!!

Effin' classic. I love the bit where he cut the screws off with a pocket knife. Can't wait to see the others..... Just looked at the dent removal video - top advice! Fastbob, you ar**, why didn't you put these up ages ago???

They're brilliant! Haven't laughed so much in ages! Have 5 Ichiban Moto points!

Oh f**k me ! I've just watched the dent removal one . First burn off all the gas , oh my god ! There must be a lot of Americans with no eyebrows ( or workshops ) maybe this is the true cause of the wildfires that devastated California this year . Brilliant !

... but I was slightly concerned that someone might get the wrong end of the stick with potentially tragic consequences...

Like making petrol tanks "safe"?

I wouldn't worry - it's called "evolution"..... :thumb: