Help I need a spring and cmpo does not have one

Muttly

Look up "tension spring" on ebay. Alternatively, loads of spring manufacturers in Redditch (a nice ride for you).... try W. H. Rooke & Co. They're pretty good and if you turn up in person will probably just bung you one....

I need one of these

https://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonline.co.uk/partno_SPRNG009

But it says it is out of stock. I have previously explained I am an idiot with mending so asking for advice.

Give me the dimensions and I'll see what I've got . Alternatively just go on eBay and buy a generic spring according to dimensions.https://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055413.m4084.l1311.R5.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xside+sta.TRS0&_nkw=side+stand+spring&_sacat=0

Yeh - take the spring off the bike (lean it up a wall and remove the stand pivot bolt first) and measure it. When replacing stand, connect spring first then put stand back onto frame.

https://www.lesjoforsab.com/standard-springs/enddesign-tensionsprings.asp

will help

Get a rough idea of spring rate (how much it takes to get initial opening of coil then how much load to produce extension of, say 1 cm) by hanging spring on a nail or hook and hanging weights off it.

Now you've got everything you need to roam ebay with confidence!

I think the problem is though @Speedy23 is that the spring has already decided to exit his bike, so he can't do any of that :)

Yeh you're right.....should have read the posts properly - minus 10 out out of 10. FAIL. What an idiot.

But begs the question - how did the spring come off/get lost in the first place?

Just make sure that it holds it securely......They started fitting engine cutout switches to sidestands a good few years back because of the number of accidents caused by riding with the sidestand down..... :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. It is definitely as far as I can tell going to hold at least for the journey home. I shall double check though.

I've got these

999538705_WP_20181005_23_13_10_Pro(2).thumb.jpg.fa0ad149674cfa8da2478c0aafceb0b3.jpg

I've got these

ooooooooh do you think one would work for a rear brake light spring.... I'll measure mine tomorrow....

Definitely not , rear brake light springs are tiny compared to these , by that I mean they are made of much much thinner wire.

good to know! Thanks Bob :thumb:

You might as well buy a new switch that comes with a spring . I notice that on this one you can choose the length by bending your own end on it . https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Universal-Rear-Brake-Light-Switch-With-Spring-Kit-For-Yamaha-Suzuki/282534897827?epid=1564425563&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

Thanks @fastbob I am still waiting for a response from cmpo about dimensions etc. I'll just measure on the bike and get back to you.

Ok, I didn't go to Northfield today but I might be over tomorrow.