Changing GSX1250FA plugs

TitanBax

I have been all over google and YouTube looking for assistance with no luck. I have found some videos that mention plugs and then they seem to be miraculously removed. I have done 2 and 3. But can’t physically see how to get 1 and 4 out. The Haynes manual is next to useless as ever. It looks like I have to take loads of extra bits of to be able to get the coil out. I have undone the water pump which helped with two. Any help would be my appreciated.

Titan

I have been all over google and YouTube looking for assistance with no luck. I have found some videos that mention plugs and then they seem to be miraculously removed. I have done 2 and 3. But can’t physically see how to get 1 and 4 out. The Haynes manual is next to useless as ever. It looks like I have to take loads of extra bits of to be able to get the coil out. I have undone the water pump which helped with two. Any help would be my appreciated.

Titan

Anything on YouTube? ......Other than that I can't help I'm afraid....... :shock:

This sort of thing is one reason I'm still looking at getting a Harley. Admittedly I don't have a water pump stuck on top of my engine on the GSXR but a job like a plug change is still a massive pain in the arse. EDIT : I thought so , all that gubbins on top of the engine isn't the actual water pump, that's down below and driven off the engine the same as on my bike . I do have a tip for getting the new plugs back in , I stick them into a length of rubber tube then dangle and twiddle until the threads engage . When they do , I pull the tube off and finish the job with the extended box spanner supplied by Suzuki.

WP_20160605_17_25_23_Pro.thumb.jpg.2d9163ef7c8f4317e6624f9b9ef79042.jpg

Edited by fastbob

[mention]TitanBax[/mention] there should be 2 intentions in the side of the top frame. This should give enough room to wiggle the coils out from 1&4 plugs with the fairing removed.

I have the workshop manual for he GSF1250 and it does not list any other way to get the plugs out.

Thanks for the pointers so far. I think I looked at that video before. The videos never show the actual removal of the ignition coils. I think I will make a video myself and post it up on YouTube.

Thanks for the pointers so far. I think I looked at that video before. The videos never show the actual removal of the ignition coils. I think I will make a video myself and post it up on YouTube.

Just don't bleep out the cussing and swearing......adversity is what we like to see :thumb:

The maker of that video must have edited out at least an hour of f*****g about ! One minute he's talking about it , the next, hey presto ! all four plugs are neatly laid out on his spotless carpet tiles.

Found this ..Thanks Joe, I figured it out, as I went back out and looked underneath the frame an found that there is a cutout in the frame for the coils to slide past. Courtesy of Texas Riders . I also found this ( hope I'm not in violation of any rules here )

wp_ss_20181001_0002.thumb.png.39c932611f036435516be1a7e14f54a3.png

The maker of that video must have edited out at least an hour of f*****g about ! One minute he's talking about it , the next, hey presto ! all four plugs are neatly laid out on his spotless carpet tiles.

YES. And that is what is so frustrating. He must have managed to get them out, and it can’t have been that easy. I will try and post a video

YES. And that is what is so frustrating. He must have managed to get them out, and it can’t have been that easy. I will try and post a video

Have you seen what else I've posted ?

Same as the bandit engine - utter pain in the arse to remove the sparks although I found 2 & 3 were the problem not so much 1 & 4. Anyway, the best way I found was to twist and pull the plugs bit by bit and when you get them high enough to come into contact with the frame turn them about 150 degress so the lead connection is facing in toward the engine, tilt the plug that way and it *should* slide out. (EDIT: Removed 45 minutes of swearing, smoking and frustration for sake of a quick post) :mrgreen:

Slightly off topic but on the subject of making videos, there is a guy who has a channel "2 wheel obsession" that is about FJR 1300s. Some good stuff, BUT you could cut at least 30 minutes out of each video as he fecks about rummaging about for and fetching tools that could have been at his fingertips. On one video about removing the side covers we were treated to about a 10 minute discussion on the different side cover colour schemes that are available in the US, Canada, Europe, etc. etc. etc. - all the while just looking at the damn things, and NOT removing them.

So sometimes brevity is best!

Slightly off topic but on the subject of making videos, there is a guy who has a channel "2 wheel obsession" that is about FJR 1300s. Some good stuff, BUT you could cut at least 30 minutes out of each video as he fecks about rummaging about for and fetching tools that could have been at his fingertips. On one video about removing the side covers we were treated to about a 10 minute discussion on the different side cover colour schemes that are available in the US, Canada, Europe, etc. etc. etc. - all the while just looking at the damn things, and NOT removing them.

So sometimes brevity is best!

But the guy completely omitted the entire plug removal process including the particularly troublesome No.2 plug .

Thanks to Kingmunky who confirmed what I had perhaps been thinking. Basically there is a gap, and if you undo (not completely) the bolt that holds the top fairing on you have just enough space to get it through.

I have also done my first ever YouTube video!

">

Thanks everyone that helped! I haven’t had a chance to do number four this evening. Will try and do that tomorrow night if I get home a little earlier to make use of the diminishing light.