Remap or resize sprockets?

hammer5

<t>Remap or sprocket</t>  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Remap or sprocket

• Remap
    • Sporckets

I had mine dyno'd after replacing the air filter for a higher flow one.....The bike already had Triumph TOR's on it and the change of air filter didn't help the running.......although I wasn't looking for any performance gains from the remap, I did get around 10% gain in BHP and Torque......and a smoother running bike..... 8-)

I kept the standard sprocket ratios as the bike can easily lift the front wheel in the first couple of gears just on the throttle......changing the gearing by altering the sprocket ratios would make the bike unwieldy I think...... :wink:

So, it really depends on what you're looking for, mate......and if you've made changes to the intake and exhaust that could affect the running with the standard map.....or if you think that the acceleration is a bit lacking....... :wink:

For me the dyno setup was well worth the money...... 8-)

As previously mentioned, it depends entirely upon what you are seeking to achieve. Why not toss a coin instead ? 😜 ( Or why not trust the manufacturer to have set the bike up for optimum performance ? )

As the Trophy I’m dicking around with will hopefully become a Cafe Racer I was thinking that I don’t need the high speed of the original but more umph ( technical term ) upto about 120mph as I wouldn’t wanna go much faster on it.

I was contemplating getting a new rear sprocket with a couple more teeth.

The same could be achieved by having a smaller rear sprocket

So which is the best solution and why?

Personally I would always go up on the rear and leave the front

This is due to the fact a smaller sprocket can cause the chain to rub through the chain buffer and cut in to the swingarm!

I have seen it done a few times

Or why not trust the manufacturer to have set the bike up for optimum performance ?

Because they set them up to meet EU noise and emmisions regulations, not to have optimum performance.

I've said it loads of times, I'm convinced every sportsbike leaving factory is overgeared. They don't want people having full performance from day one as many would end up in a ditch.

Larger rear sprocket shortens your wheelbase a fraction, whereas a smaller front sprocket lengthens your wheelbase (with correctly adjusted chain). Maybe not enough for regular riders to notice though.

What do you chaps think about either option A, B or C - my existing sprockets/chain look good, no sign of wear & have done 10k, so I can either keep hold of them, or replace them all, which well, could be a waste of money.

https://www.motorcycleraceparts.co.uk/renthal-front-sprocket-triumph-675-street-triple

https://triumphdirect.co.uk/genuine...it---speed-triple--speed-triple-r-12433-p.asp

or

https://www.motorcycleraceparts.co....le-r-08-14-final-drive-chain-and-sprocket-kit -1 front +1 rear

In recent years I've had shaft drive bikes, so gearing changes have not been possible.

When I had various Kawasaki, Triumph and Yamaha bikes I made many changes in gearing, both up and down, via front and rear sprockets.

Bikes (and cars) are overgeared for reasons of comfort and economy. Lowering gearing with a smaller front and / or larger rear sprocket will be useful if you're after maximum performance, for example on a track day. For normal road riding, standard road gearing is almost always perfectly fine and, if you are going to travel any distance, raising the gearing will give lower revs at your cruising speed, reducing wear, noise and fuel consumption.

As for re-mapping, I like the idea but have never tried it, so can't comment. :)

What do you chaps think about either option A, B or C - my existing sprockets/chain look good, no sign of wear & have done 10k, so I can either keep hold of them, or replace them all, which well, could be a waste of money.

https://www.motorcycleraceparts.co.uk/renthal-front-sprocket-triumph-675-street-triple

https://triumphdirect.co.uk/genuine...it---speed-triple--speed-triple-r-12433-p.asp

or

https://www.motorcycleraceparts.co....le-r-08-14-final-drive-chain-and-sprocket-kit -1 front +1 rear

Just go for the -1 front sprocket to start with. Cheapest option will give the most change per pound spent.

-1 on the front is normally about the same as +2 or +3 on the back so the difference is quite noticeable.

Be wary of what Stu said about the chain rubbing on your swing arm etc though.

You will notice the difference immediately. Better acceleration, more engine braking, the bike will feel much more alive.

On some bikes you need a Speedo healer to correct the Speedo for the new gearing as they take the speed from the front sprocket. Check that's not the same with yours else you're Speedo will be reading higher than your actual speed.

I ordered a - 2 14T front last night :) the bike gets its speed from the front wheel sensor/ABS so it should be fine.

Not sure on the chain rubbing on the swing arm, not seen any complaints but I'll do some digging.

Cheers peeps, I'll give you all feedback when I get it done.

Will be 12.5% more torque and would lower speed at max revs from say 145 to 128mph.

Better throttle control needed as I can't reach the rear brake foot pedal due to my metal knee, (points out) unless I machine the pedal out an inch or more.

You have me thinking a 15T would be safer lol

You'll be fine but that's some increase.. it will easily wheelie!!

Your engine braking will increase alot too so you can close the throttle a little to bring the front wheel back down, but close it gently else you smash your man parts on the tank..

:shock: