Cbf 125 lighting issue

Drfleming

Hi, so... sidelight, fullbeam, rear light and dash light have all cut out after a fall (landed left side) i have been trying to fix this problem for the past couple of weeks and I'm at a loose end

Have replaced stator and regulator rectifier, and diagnosed the wiring according to haynes... all google searches lead to posts of others having the same issue but nobody ever actually confirming how or if they fixed it... i need this bike in full working order ASAP... HELP!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

to rule out wiring ... apply power from battery using a length of cable to yellow wire output on reg reg ( disconnect from reg rec though) and see if things light up .

and if nothing then apply a wire from -ve terminal on battery to the ground wire for headlight bulb as well

My mrs used to have one which I stripped for a rebuild.

The harness for the lighting ran up the left hand side of the bike. You may have popped the big connector back there, make sure all connections are secure.

Change the fuses over just to be sure, visually they can look ok sometimes but the break is small.

Thanks for the advice guys... turned out to be the stator that id damaged when i replaced it :oops: working as it should..... left it running for a bit and now white smoke coming from the exhaust... one problem after another πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

It's air cooled so it won't be a head gasket fault. Much more likely unburnt fuel.

Those bikes have a terrible charging system, it's barely able to keep up at idle. Make sure your battery is properly charged, the bike is running well, and there's a newish spark plug in there and that should sort your problem.

Reason I say is the old CBF I looked after did this when the battery began to die. Wasn't enough voltage for the coil to turn into a big enough spark to adequately burn all of the fuel. And it's always good to start with the cheap stuff.

It's air cooled so it won't be a head gasket fault. Much more likely unburnt fuel

White/blue smoke is usually oil. Excess fuel is black smoke. Check the plug - is it oily? Could be shot rings or valve guides......check compression. Is it near manual values? If not, stick 5ml oil down bore. If compression increases, rings. If not, think valve guides. Have you actually run it hard (I. E. taken it out) after mending the stator?

I wouldn't jump to compression tests yet though, if he's been leaving the ignition on and testing it while fixing it, I'd start with the basics and charge the battery and give it a good run.

If it worsens or the smoke gets thicker/blue/smells strongly then he can get to the fun stuff.

Ive actually not ridden it since fixing it... the qhite smoke made me worry and i didn't want to make it worse πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I'll get her dressed and take her out later i think... I'll check back πŸ‘

Also battery's in good nick though holding charge where it should and what not