Help needed ( God help me )

Mickly

Can anyone point me in the direction of the correct torque value for the oil filter bolt on a 1994 Triumph Trophy 1200 ?

It’s not in the Haynes manu, which seems a bit of a basic omission.

Also in trying to find out, I’ve come across a post that says the 22mm oil drain plug should be tightened to 48Nm and that the 28Nm referred to in the Haynes manual is for the 14mm plug used on some models .... is this true or am I gonna end up with a stripped thread?

Thanks.

[mention]Westbeef[/mention] have you got any info on torque specs!!

before you go jumping in DO NOT TIGHTEN TO THE SPEC! you will more than likely strip the threads the the spec is for new clean bolt and thread any dirt or oil in there can/will cause it to strip

literally just nipping it up is enough

I have it on good authority that God doesn't know much about motorbikes, but if you hand tighten the oil filter and then give it a quarter turn you should be golden.

I do have a friend that is a Vicar and he is always willing to perform a service :D

@Westbeef have you got any info on torque specs!!

before you go jumping in DO NOT TIGHTEN TO THE SPEC! you will more than likely strip the threads the the spec is for new clean bolt and thread any dirt or oil in there can/will cause it to strip

literally just nipping it up is enough

Yeah 48Nm is f**k loads :lol: :mrgreen: .

Do as Stu says.

What exactly do you mean by an oil filter bolt ? Anyway don't worry too much about torque settings, just tighten it enough so it doesn't come undone . It's not going to be subjected to any forces trying to undo it so go easy .

What exactly do you mean by an oil filter bolt ? Anyway don't worry too much about torque settings, just tighten it enough so it doesn't come undone . It's not going to be subjected to any forces trying to undo it so go easy .

It’s item 1 in the picture

4787CFC5-E95F-4366-A360-25C94379C0FF.thumb.png.a035240a307d554b563f5661566faeaf.png

That is the same arrangement as the Kwak GPX750. That bolt setting was about 20Nm (14.75 ft-lbs). But I used to nip it up to feel the "O" ring compressing. Fill the oil up and run it and check for leaks.

It’s item 1 in the picture

4787CFC5-E95F-4366-A360-25C94379C0FF.png

Oh ok , cheers for that , I thought Triumphs would have external filters . Anyway, just tighten it enough to stay put . I guess the thing is that some of us older mechanics have developed a feel for this sort of thing and only reach for a torque wrench for head bolts or camshaft journals etc.

I had a 1200 Trophy and managed to shear the drain bolt (which I then discovered had been replaced by an upgraded part). That was why there were two recommended torques for that.

As for the oil filter, go with the advice you've had here - as tight as you can get by hand then a little nip (1/4 turn max) with the spanner.

Thank you all for the advice.

I am notoriously heavy handed, so try and use torque settings when I can, e.g. the engine cover bolts have a 9Nm spec, when I did them up it really didn’t feel enough and I’d have probably gone another 1/2 turn if left to my own devices.

I have reduced flat pack furniture to near match wood through having all the finesse of a Rhino.

Right,

So I torqued it up to 24Nm the same as the sump plug.

Nothing snapped, sheared or stripped.

The thick oil I used to lube the seal and hold it in place oozed out nicely as the seal compressed, so job done I reckon

( famous last words )