Once over....

Moonraker

Good morning all!

So, yesterday evening I rode my bike for the first time in 4 months ( :crybaby: ) as part of the final action of moving house. Safe to say I should have ridden it previously but I had some stresses, house move, job move and a honeymoon to deal with.

I'm ready to get back on the bike more often now, including the odd commute again, but I need to get the bike back up to scratch.

Can anyone give any advice on what I should do as part of this sort out? For example, my chain is still in great condition but I'll clean it and re-spray it with oil etc but the brakes were stiff, so how's the best way to get these back to ' normal'?

What else should I check? I've got my Haynes manual which I'll be flicking through for ideas but who can resist the TMBF knowledge?

Thank you :thumb:

Here we go again, the curse of the Tokico calliper. Strip down , clean the crap out of the seal grooves, rebuild , bleed . Anything less and you'll only need to do them properly later on .

Here we go again, the curse of the Tokico calliper. Strip down , clean the crap out of the seal grooves, rebuild , bleed . Anything less and you'll only need to do them properly later on .

Well that sounds fun!

Well that sounds fun!

It's not exactly fun but the results can be astonishingly good . Having said that ,there are many others on here who would urge you not to bother and to swap them for Nissin callipers .

Well that sounds fun!

It's not exactly fun but the results can be astonishingly good . Having said that ,there are many others on here who would urge you not to bother and to swap them for Nissin callipers .

Totally sounds like a sensible idea - when I say it sounds fun, I mean I haven't a scoobies as to what I'd be doing!! :lol:

Well that sounds fun!

Totally sounds like a sensible idea - when I say it sounds fun, I mean I haven't a scoobies as to what I'd be doing!! :lol:

But you would be an expert after you'd done it. 😉

We'll see about that one!

I'm guessing the reason it feels like my brakes are "on" when I ride the bike was because of the callipers? Any special tools required to do the work or will a toolbox full do? (As well as the bikes toolkit)

We'll see about that one!

I'm guessing the reason it feels like my brakes are "on" when I ride the bike was because of the callipers? Any special tools required to do the work or will a toolbox full do? (As well as the bikes toolkit)

No time right now but I can give you plenty of tips and tricks later this evening, No special tools are required.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all!

So, yesterday evening I rode my bike for the first time in 4 months ( :crybaby: ) as part of the final action of moving house. Safe to say I should have ridden it previously but I had some stresses, house move, job move and a honeymoon to deal with.

I'm ready to get back on the bike more often now, including the odd commute again, but I need to get the bike back up to scratch.

Can anyone give any advice on what I should do as part of this sort out? For example, my chain is still in great condition but I'll clean it and re-spray it with oil etc but the brakes were stiff, so how's the best way to get these back to ' normal'?

What else should I check? I've got my Haynes manual which I'll be flicking through for ideas but who can resist the TMBF knowledge?

Mark , I did write you a lovely detailed account of how I did my brakes but unfortunately, as you may be aware, the server crashed. If you are still in need of some tips , let me know .

Good morning all!

Mark , I did write you a lovely detailed account of how I did my brakes but unfortunately, as you may be aware, the server crashed. If you are still in need of some tips , let me know .

I appreciate the time and effort! I have a couple of advisories from the last mot, one of which needs a 'proper mechanic' (definitely way better than me) so will be taking it to a garage, probably for a basic service to fix so if you can't be arsed to type it out again, it's no problem. :thumb:

If you wish to type it out again, to teach someone something, I'm happy to receive it! Id like to learn some basic bike maintenence!