Lots of smoke coming from bike (pic inside)

workpeter

So my bike churns out heaps of white smoke through the exhaust, and i was wondering if thats normal? have a look at pic and tell me what you think.

FYI - My bike ran out of oil a little while back (was a good excuse to put fresh oil in and oil filter). I detected at least one small leak on the exhaust seal, which i plan to seal up with high temp clay designed for that, but i was wondering if maybe the engine is burning oil?

normal.thumb.png.006838ddd98404028b513eb95ae0689d.png

Ran out of oil ? Could you be a little more specific ? Did you continue to ride it in this condition ? If you did then this could have rapidly accelerated the wear in the cylinder bores which would definitely cause the bike to smoke as it burns oil . On the other hand it could just be water vapour . Water vapour disappears , a bit like the noxious clouds that issue from these silly buggers who can't quit nicotine. Smoke , on the other hand , will linger and disperse much more slowly especially when there is no wind. It shouldn't be too hard to tell the difference.

As above....cold engine, cold exhaust, results in a lot of water vapour on a cold day. Oil smoke is blueish and much thicker than water vapour.

When you burn petrol in air one byproduct is water. The vapour is carried through the exhaust and condenses into steam as it hits cold air. You will often see water dripping from car exhaust pipes which is vapour that has condensed inside the exhaust. It's why cars that do short journeys rot the exhaust.

At a second glance I've just noticed the snow on the seat and adjacent cars so its probably just water vapour due to the extreme cold.

Engine's had it, mate......I'll buy it off you for a tenner...... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though.......as above....just water vapour forming from the hot exhaust gases hitting the cold metal on the exhaust......it'll disappear once the bike is up to working temperature. ...... 8-)

Engine's had it, mate......I'll buy it off you for a tenner...... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though.......as above....just water vapour forming from the hot exhaust gases hitting the cold metal on the exhaust......it'll disappear once the bike is up to working temperature. ...... 8-)

The thrugangler has splurgled! It's a write-off! I'll give you £10.50p

:mrgreen:

Mine does the same in the morning, it's like a steam locomotive! Once the bike is warmed up there's not a single puff of smoke.

It's normal. It isn't normal if the bike is warm and it gives out steam(head gasket) or smoke(air-fuel mixture, oil)...