Bandit 600

Joebaxi

Hi all

Does anyone have any idea how much it will cost to have my carbs synchronised and maybe new choke cable as I don’t think the choke is holding its position when I try to reduce it after a cold start. It seems to have only 2 positions either fully on or fully off.

Also the bike has been stood unused for about 3 weeks. It’s kept outside but covered on my mums drive and due to other commitments I’ve been unable to get over there to start it up and it’s suffered the recent cold weather we’ve had. I got over there this morning and it’s refusing to start. Battery sounds healthy and I got a couple of chugs but it won’t fire. I can’t bump start it as I have an arm injury and I’m a bit scared if truth be told lol.

It’s an 02 bandit 600 naked by the way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dave

Buy some guages and do it yourself, you can bung in a choke cable while the tank is off. I can't remember whether your bike has shims or tappets but there's not a lot of point in balancing the carbs without first checking the valve clearances . If you want a garage to do both jobs then I think roughly £200 - £300 should cover it but get multiple quotes. If its been stood out in this weather then you might just have damp around the plug caps and leads . You could also try setting the petrol tap to prime position until it starts . Good luck.

Buy some guages and do it yourself, you can bung in a choke cable while the tank is off. I can't remember whether your bike has shims or tappets but there's not a lot of point in balancing the carbs without first checking the valve clearances . If you want a garage to do both jobs then I think roughly £200 - £300 should cover it but get multiple quotes. If its been stood out in this weather then you might just have damp around the plug caps and leads . You could also try setting the petrol tap to prime position until it starts . Good luck.

Thanks fastbob

I’m an absolute total noob, which is prime position. I only know of 3....off,reserve and on. From that question I’m guessing you’ll know I’m not gonna start stripping the bike but I’ll take your advice and get multiple quotes.

Thanks mate

Thanks fastbob

I’m an absolute total noob, which is prime position. I only know of 3....off,reserve and on. From that question I’m guessing you’ll know I’m not gonna start stripping the bike but I’ll take your advice and get multiple quotes.

Thanks mate

Have you looked carefully at the markings on the tap ? You may be right , but on my Suzuki its ON , RES and PRI . PRI stands for PRIME and it over rides the vacuum operated fuel tap . It is very useful if you have had the carbs off or you have completely run out of petrol and need to fill up the float bowls . Without the Prime function you would have to crank the engine on the starter motor for so long that you would risk draining the battery. Here you go , I've deliberately posted the picture upside down so you can see what I mean . By the way , you should never leave the tap in the PRI position in case a float valve fails to close and you end up with a crankcase full of petrol .

2135163927_wp_ss_20190216_0004(2).thumb.png.49abe671d6bdf9f75041f52e5772acec.png