Honda Cbf 125

Tuckermoto

Hi all

I’m in the process of a top end rebuild on my little Honda Cbf 125 and I’m about to torque the head down but can not find any where the torque settings for the head bolts x 4 and the 2 bolts that sit just inside the head ..I’m a hobbyist and normally work on cars / vans and have no problem locating technical information on these motors but find motorcycles harder to get the technical information I require my bike is a

Honda Cbf 125

59 plate

Ang help would be appreciated

Regards

Richard (Essex)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone again

The progress on my little Honda has come to a stand still ,,,,🤪

Basically I have fitted a second hand piston and barrel with a new set of rings but after assembling the barrel back on I was not happy with the way the piston was running in the barrel when turned by hand ( I struggled to get the piston in the barrel by hand due to the amount of rings so I invested in a piston ring kit compression kit from Sealey model number ms006 to any one who’s interested and it works perfect ..I work on my own so made it so much easier to do by my self ) any way let’s get back on track I normally work on cars and and vans so motorbikes are new to me and do is paying so much money for spares compared to cars and vans I have seen the cheap Chinese kits on eBay barrel/ piston / rings / gaskets selling at £50.00 complete ..on gaskets I use genuine Honda can any review what these kits are like are they any good as I can not justify laying out £150 for genuine Honda ones

Cheers

Richard

Hi every one

Latest on my little Honda rebuild

Has come to a standstill after fitting a second hand piston and barrel with new rings ..

After hand turning the engine over by hand I discovered that the piston was rubbing on the barrel due to a previous seize up ..it had had before I got it ..

I’m now looking at getting a piston /barrel kit of eBay ( full kit ) priced at £50.00 compared to Honda this is a 3rd if the price of genuine.Has anyone tried theses kits they are Chinese are they complete cheap rubbish or are they ok ..

Regards

Richard

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/03/2019 at 23:28, Westbeef said:

I hope this has what you need :thumb:

20190310_232705.thumb.jpg.794b28e78fa4a4f6dc08c5ed12ddc698.jpg

I know this is a very old thread but I have a honda now renamed CB125F not much has changed from the CBF125 some weight loss etc. 

But no where in my book does I have a torque specifications page like that all I have are the torque settings for the screws for the license plates turn signals. 

IMG_20221023_180041.jpg

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

That page looks very much like its from a Haynes Manual..  a maintenance book you can buy. its not the sort of book that comes with the bike, unless the previous owner includes it.

Mine is a honda cb125f 2021 model onwards where do I buy one of these books 

As the Haynes Manual only seema to go up to 2017 for the CB125F. 

Seems odd they wouldn't offer these specs with the main stuff. 

Edited by Riley

37 minutes ago, Riley said:

Mine is a honda cb125f 2021 model onwards where do I buy one of these books 

As the Haynes Manual only seema to go up to 2017 for the CB125F. 

Seems odd they wouldn't offer these specs with the main stuff. 

Its not odd at all.. in fact it's perfectly normal. only a tiny minority of owners are even vaguely interested in the details of maintenance. they just pop the bike to a dealership and pay the bill on completion.

I would guess that there hasn't  been enough changes in the model to justify a new edition of Haynes, or maybe they just haven't got round to it.

what is it exactly you want the torque for?

10 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Its not odd at all.. in fact it's perfectly normal. only a tiny minority of owners are even vaguely interested in the details of maintenance. they just pop the bike to a dealership and pay the bill on completion.

I would guess that there hasn't  been enough changes in the model to justify a new edition of Haynes, or maybe they just haven't got round to it.

what is it exactly you want the torque for?

I want the torque specs for the bolts etc like when I change oil or oil filter adjust the chain. 

Well from what I can see basic maintenance is very simple they've made it easier for you for example they have markings for the chain so you know stuff like that I can do and isn't down in my service plan to even look at it till 12.000 miles I think when most say it goes lose after the first 600 miles as its brand new  and thats just an I for inspect at 12.000 miles. 

Just stuff like that but I'll learn as I go the only difference is the dealership has all the tools I don't currently have also if somthing more serious went wrong I wouldn't know what to do yet so yeah it would go to them and as I have to have it serviced by them during the next few years anyway for the warranty. 

But yeah most stuff looks pretty easy I'll no doubt eats them words at some point tho. 

Anyway well some might not be interested but I am I can't be rely on the dealership all of my life it never good to be overly dependent on anyone or anything else. 

Do you think the torque measurements would be the same yeah now i think the last change they did was in 2021 think they reduced the frame to 11kg so other bits that allude me right now. 

• Like 1

I am looking at the manual now.. and the torque for the drain bolt is 30Nm its on page 60.

1511371998_Screenshot2022-10-24at13_30_29.thumb.png.44ad93faed86865d3f1250ac534db368.png

Of course the manual im looking at might be different to yours, but it seems highly unlikely to me that (engine and chassis) basics like these would change much over the life of a machine like the CBF125..  manual is here.  https://2rom-prd-data.hondamotopub.com/om/HMEE/CB125F/2017-2018-2019/CB125F_32KPNB11_0.pdf

2p8u43ah

Edited by Gerontious

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I am looking at the manual now.. and the torque for the drain bolt is 30Nm its on page 60.

1511371998_Screenshot2022-10-24at13_30_29.thumb.png.44ad93faed86865d3f1250ac534db368.png

Of course the manual im looking at might be different to yours, but it seems highly unlikely to me that (engine and chassis) basics like these would change much over the life of a machine like the CBF125..  manual is here.  https://2rom-prd-data.hondamotopub.com/om/HMEE/CB125F/2017-2018-2019/CB125F_32KPNB11_0.pdf

2p8u43ah

Wow thats freaking strange as I have an owners manual and it doesn't have anything like that on my your is page 60 mine is page 62 - 63 and doesn't even mention torque I assumed the online versions would just be the same but hence why I didn't look but thankfully you did. 

Seems they have massively downgraded the manual which is a crime lol 

Also the drain bolt on the new 2021 model is not underneath it vertical across. 

I got in touch with Haynes is it they don't have a manual for it yet as honda did a massive overall of the engine they said. 

But I think it would be safe to say the Newton force would be the same why they haven't added this info in the new manual is a shame 

Also am I the only one who thinks black has to be like the worst colour to make a dip stick lol 

IMG_20221024_161518.jpg

IMG_20221024_161249.jpg

IMG_20221024_161238.jpg

IMG_20221024_161131.jpg

Edited by Riley

in my own owners manual for my 2018 Honda Africa Twin, it gives torque values at the very back.. its actually at the very end of the specifications section. and they only give 9. and these are the most basic possible. allowing for an oil and filters change (my bike has two oil filters). chain adjust and front wheel removal. and that's it. Anything else I have to refer to the Haynes.

Black dipsticks are standard. though sight glasses are becoming fairly common on larger bikes. where you just put the bike upright and look at the oil level in the sight glass and ensure its between the markers. simple. My own bike has a black dipstick. (thanks Honda).. but you would be amazed how many people underfill the oil simply because they couldn't be bothered to read the manual. In fact it never ceases to amaze me just how many people ask questions about their brand new bike. questions that are answered in the owners manual.

Only a week or so ago a fella complains about a horrible noise and some bright spark asked him to test the chain slack. it moved 5".  it should be max 2.2.  He said... "who reads the owners manual?"

seriously.

And this for a bike that cost him circa £16,000. its only money. its only his life at stake.

3 hours ago, Gerontious said:

2p8u43ah

Gerontious where did you find that manual as mine is missing so bloody much. 

For example your manual shows how to adjust the chain for slack. 

Which after checking this morning is somthing I need to do when I get a dry sunny day. 

Screenshot below of your manual beautifully detailed and has torque 

Then mine i have one page which is 70 and says nothing about how to adjust slack at all showing the pages before and after in my book

Screenshot_20221024_164323_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

IMG_20221024_164446.jpg

IMG_20221024_164425.jpg

IMG_20221024_164432.jpg

2 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

in my own owners manual for my 2018 Honda Africa Twin, it gives torque values at the very back.. its actually at the very end of the specifications section. and they only give 9. and these are the most basic possible. allowing for an oil and filters change (my bike has two oil filters). chain adjust and front wheel removal. and that's it. Anything else I have to refer to the Haynes.

Black dipsticks are standard. though sight glasses are becoming fairly common on larger bikes. where you just put the bike upright and look at the oil level in the sight glass and ensure its between the markers. simple. My own bike has a black dipstick. (thanks Honda).. but you would be amazed how many people underfill the oil simply because they couldn't be bothered to read the manual. In fact it never ceases to amaze me just how many people ask questions about their brand new bike. questions that are answered in the owners manual.

Only a week or so ago a fella complains about a horrible noise and some bright spark asked him to test the chain slack. it moved 5".  it should be max 2.2.  He said... "who reads the owners manual?"

seriously.

And this for a bike that cost him circa £16,000. its only money. its only his life at stake.

Oil was done hopefully at the 600 miles service but I have checked its in the line. 

Some stuff is it in but some stuff isn't as show yeah spoke to them they don't have a manual for my model yet. 

Literally my owners manual is missing huge sections that weird I checked my chain this morning it definitely needs to be adjusted. 

I have no idea why they have missed so much out on my manual below is the only specs for torque I have i obviously looked at my book first befoe I came and asked hers I'm not that lazy amd definitely the chain needs to be looked after everything does but thats just me. 

Screenshot_20221024_165355_com.facebook.orca.jpg

Screenshot_20221024_165350_com.facebook.orca.jpg

you have the manual (it came from Honda).. and I checked, its for UK/EU bikes... as that's the only code they add.  its for an earlier bike. it was copyrighted in 2016 so is out of date. But, as I said.. I wouldn't worry too much about major differences. Even if the engine is redesigned the torque values won't change much if at all.

A lot of people don't bother with torque values at all and just go by 'feel'. you'll find that one of the most controversial questions you can ever ask is "what torque wrench should I buy?" as a lot of answers will be NONE. followed by a load of ridiculous reasons.

The less info they give you, the more reliance you will be placing on the dealership. this has been going on for years. owners manuals and included toolkits are nothing like they once were.

I got a fairly OK (ish) toolkit with my bike... in America, they only get a screwdriver and a single Allen key.  Thats mostly because if some American muppet messes with his bike and causes an accident, he can blame the tool kit and sue Honda.

Edited by Gerontious

14 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

you have the manual (it came from Honda).. and I checked, its for UK/EU bikes... as that's the only code they add.  its for an earlier bike. it was copyrighted in 2016 so is out of date. But, as I said.. I wouldn't worry too much about major differences. Even if the engine is redesigned the torque values won't change much if at all.

A lot of people don't bother with torque values at all and just go by 'feel'. you'll find that one of the most controversial questions you can ever ask is "what torque wrench should I buy?" as a lot of answers will be NONE. followed by a load of ridiculous reasons.

Gerontious if you look at the other messages you will see like I said my book is missing so bloody much I have no page about how to adjust the slack aka move rhe whell back. 

Nothing about that at all then this might effect my back break free play which also which I obviously haven't been advised if you hadn't provided your link to that digital manual I woukd of known as I'm going to adjust the chain as its out. 

Why is mine missing so much importance content i have a page that advised me to inspect the free play of the back break thats it. 

Mine vs yours 

Your manual or the one found online has so much more details and mine like I said is missing huge sections it seems I  have no section what so ever on how to adjust the chaim for slack. 

Just how to inspect it seems they habe either made a massive error during print or they are Purposely leaving stuff out so people become more reliant on the dealership. 

The last photo the first 2 are yours the last ONE is all I have about the drive chain this is the entire section about drive chain and no page on how to adjust it it even says in yours that it requires special tools so take tp your dealer but they don't ask for it to be inspected till 12.000 miles and mine is already slack I'm pretty sure. 

Can you confirm that I measure both ways up and down downwards it didn't budge but when I pushed it up I think it was like 3 inches from where it sits aka resting position so this needa to be corrected... Right..? 

Screenshot_20221024_171010_com.google.android.apps.docs_edit_232538147260349.jpg

Screenshot_20221024_164323_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

IMG_20221024_164425.jpg

Edited by Riley

because they want you to use the dealer for everything.

my dealer will happily adjust my chain if I ask them... they will also clean and oil it for me too.. and then charge me £37

I didn't ask them how much it cost, they told me... because they half expected me to need them to do it. this was back in early 2019 and I asked them for a quote for new tyres supplied and fitted. They assumed I would want the chain looked at too, at the same time.  its actually not needed any adjustment since its first 600 mile service, and the cleaning/lube stuff I bought back then (costing £20) will probably last me another 10 years.

Im sure they have customers who take the bike in every year to have the chain adjusted and cleaned. when they can rattle off the cost off the top of their head, it must be a common thing.

people eh... you have to wonder.

Edited by Gerontious