Damn superglue

elizabethf

Added heated grips to my bike but the glue was quite runny and some dropped onto the plastic panel on my tank :oops:

6DCA2537-8F41-474E-83EE-4946FF0C2685.thumb.jpeg.fbeaa866c4f9c262eb7b0ac732fcb858.jpeg

Any ideas how to get it off? Not sure it painted black or not so not too sure about acetone.

Will it come off with a few washes? Give up and buy a replacement panel? :lol: It’s bugging me.

Carbon wrap it , you’d have to do panel other side to match, you’d probably get a firm to do it for not much cash ,I had a couple of bits done on one of my old bikes .

The problem here is that the glue has fallen on to a panel that has a raised pattern that is supposed to resemble cabon fibre. I don't think there's any solvent that's going to remove the glue without damaging the surface of the panel . So unfortunately it's a new or second hand panel OR install a switch for something in the same place . Here's one , sorry I haven't figured out how to post links with my new phone yet .

Screenshot_20190317-181336.thumb.png.d3cffa19f7600bdc4289a135a8acccdd.png

Edited by fastbob

as it was mentioned earlier if you think the panel is already damaged you don't have a lot to loose so it might be worth a go at trying to get rid of the glue, and its a big shame seeing as you have only recently got the bike

Ive got superglue on one of my kitchen worktops, thats been there for ages. Resigned myself to having to get new worktops eventually as never been able to shift it and it annoys me every time i see it

Even more annoying that I scratched right next to it with a stanley blade opening a packet of cheese because i couldn't be arsed to get the scissors

Its almost like i never learn

The problem here is that the glue has fallen on to a panel that has a raised pattern that is supposed to resemble cabon fibre. I don't think there's any solvent that's going to remove the glue without damaging the surface of the panel . So unfortunately it's a new or second hand panel OR install a switch for something in the same place . Here's one , sorry I haven't figured out how to post links with my new phone yet .

Would be ideal if that was a right hand one

And the lesson you have learned from this episode is?

Well I didn’t install them myself but didn’t want to flat out blame my fella as he was trying to be nice....

I'd look for a new bloke as well as replacement panels in that case :thumb:

Added heated grips to my bike but the glue was quite runny and some dropped onto the plastic panel on my tank :oops:

6DCA2537-8F41-474E-83EE-4946FF0C2685.jpeg

Any ideas how to get it off? Not sure it painted black or not so not too sure about acetone.

Will it come off with a few washes? Give up and buy a replacement panel? :lol: It’s bugging me.

https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-cyanoacrylate-glue-remover-4-5/3663602707080_BQ.prd?utm_source=google_cpc&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=PX_GSC_Tools_And_Hardware_+_Generic&ppc_type=shopping&ds_kids=92700029894053833&gclid=CjwKCAjw4LfkBRBDEiwAc2DSlBg1obd4FIaZW0coYvWH8UnAUw7IZZKrhOY9jrbPL4ZttsMmCl3_3hoCyVMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

There is a also a right hand one on eBay at half that price but it is a little worn .

There is a also a right hand one on eBay at half that price but it is a little worn .

...if you're not too bothered about the carbon look, get the ebay one that fastbob has found, get the other one off your bike and give 'em a quick blow over with coat of primer and then matt/silk black aerosol. Will look 100% better than the superglue victim it currently is.

...if you're not too bothered about the carbon look, get the ebay one that fastbob has found, get the other one off your bike and give 'em a quick blow over with coat of primer and then matt/silk black aerosol. Will look 100% better than the superglue victim it currently is.

The trouble is that the carbon look is a raised textured surface not a printed design.