Battery

Furiae

Check the fuse first of course. But worth mentioning that a very flat battery won't take a charge off a standard charger. If the battery is totally dead you sometimes need to give it a very low amperage charge to raise the voltage back .... I use a 400Ma charger for gel cells for really dead batteries. A couple of hours on that then back to the standard charger.

So check the battery voltage as well. Anything under 12v and it may need a priming charge.

Check the fuse first of course. But worth mentioning that a very flat battery won't take a charge off a standard charger. If the battery is totally dead you sometimes need to give it a very low amperage charge to raise the voltage back .... I use a 400Ma charger for gel cells for really dead batteries. A couple of hours on that then back to the standard charger.

So check the battery voltage as well. Anything under 12v and it may need a priming charge.

Maybe I'm just using the wrong charger I currently use this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trickle-Charger-RAVPower-Maintainer-Motorbike/dp/B01N29VNDV/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1553197023&sr=8-15&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=trickle+charger+for+motorbike

Also what is a priming charge? Do I get the things from Halfords? That's the closest store to me that sells those automotive things maybe wilko

A priming charge is just a very low amp charge to raise the voltage back to the point where a standard charger will recognise the battery and be able to do the usual charging.

I have a regular thing where elderly people don’t drive all winter so by spring their car battery is flat. They call out a mechanic who tries to charge the battery, it won’t take a charge so they say it’s scrap and sell them a new battery. I’ve taken those scrap batteries, put them on a 400Ma charge for a couple of hours, then put them on my standard charger and hey presto, one perfectly healthy battery.

Amazon sell a Silverline 12v 500Ma charger for £7.99, that’s pretty similar to what I use.

Another question: is it true that if the battery is below 3V you have to discard it.

Thanks for all the tips battery was flat and the charger I used is broken. Bought a new charger and that seems to work also bought the things suggested.

What exactly are we looking at here ? Do you mean the inline fuse holder or the toolkit screwdriver that appears to be arc welded to the terminal ? Or am I just misinterpreting the picture ? By the way , you can drop pictures straight onto this site without using Imgur . I used to do that before I got a little bit more smartphone savvy .

Another question: is it true that if the battery is below 3V you have to discard it.

It depends. A 12volt battery is really six 2 volt batteries connected in series. If the cells drop equally you can save the battery but it can happen that one or more cells will die before others. The healthier cells then effectively recharge the dud one which means that cell goes reverse charge, in which case the battery is stuffed. That's a bit over simplified but after a few beers that's the best I can come up with. :cheers:

What exactly are we looking at here ? Do you mean the inline fuse holder or the toolkit screwdriver that appears to be arc welded to the terminal ? Or am I just misinterpreting the picture ? By the way , you can drop pictures straight onto this site without using Imgur . I used to do that before I got a little bit more smartphone savvy .

There are three pictures 2 of them is the battery connector from the heated grips the loop broke off but yeah need to replace the whole thing with a new one unless someone knows how to replace just that bit.

3rd image bit of corrosion I thought it would affect why it wouldn't charge but found out battery is too dead and charger was broken.

My follow up question was: is it true that if the battery is below 3V you have to discard it.

I did try to upload the image directly but didn't work.