1980 Honda CG125 - 6v & points, want to convert to 12v & CDI

julianl

My current project bike is a 1970 CB350K, but I already have the next project bike lined up (it was too good an opportunity to miss). It's a 1980 Honda CG125 (K1?). It's 6v and has points ignition. I'd like to convert it to 12v to make getting lamps for it easier and to open up more options of a decent headlight, USB power socket, etc. This, and an electronic ignition conversion would just make the bike easier to live with on a day to day basis.

From the research I've done, I would need a new stator and reg/rec to change to 12v. The new stator would have a pickup for an ignition timing signal for the CDI unit too, so goes hand in hand with conversion from points to CDI, so I would assume I need to fit a CDI flywheel too. I would need a new loom as well, which I could get off a later CDI CG125. The current loom is butchered anyway, one of the POs used twin and earth to 'repair' it. :roll: Anything to stay on the road I guess.

Is it really that 'simple' (replace with newer CG125 parts) or am I missing something? Would I be able to mount the 12v stator in the original engine casing? Do I need to make a custom bracket for that or can I modify the stator to fit? Does a CDI flywheel fit a points crank ok? Do I need to get anything machined?

I'm still very much in the planning stages at the moment, but want to start collecting parts when I see them become available, and also to make sure the idea is viable. Thanks! :)

I have done this trick. Stator will go on just fine but you will need a cdi case for it or maybe modify the old one. The pickup will get in the way. Hmm and you might need some ignition bits off a cdi bike as well, or the right sort of Chinese pit bike - I've got a "racing" cdi on mine and a coil pack. Not sure if you can use the old coil, it has 6V stamped on it but I didn't try it as the other bits were offered to me for a couple packs of chudly

Cool, thanks for the confirmation this will work. :thumb:

When you say casing, is that just the flywheel cover? If the wikipedia page is to be believed, I would need a cover from after 1993. Does that sound about right?

Ah yes sorry I did mean just the flywheel cover. Any CDI cover should do it, if cdi started in 93 that is about right then. On the backside of the points cover the flywheel is quite tightly enclosed, and it leaves no room for the pickup.

• 6 months later...

I haven't got round to this project yet, but I have recently collected a load of data to help me choose the right parts of other CG125 models. Here's the data I have collected in case anyone else if looking for it too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16HZHYtPbF3AqlCv_eNuEvpKmVSV26omL/view?usp=sharing

• 4 weeks later...

Now the end is in sight with the CB350G, I'm itching to get started on the next project. I have this '80 CG125 and a '03 XR125L to choose from. I think it might be the CG next.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 27/04/2019 at 15:03, julianl said:

My current project bike is a 1970 CB350K, but I already have the next project bike lined up (it was too good an opportunity to miss). It's a 1980 Honda CG125 (K1?). It's 6v and has points ignition. I'd like to convert it to 12v to make getting lamps for it easier and to open up more options of a decent headlight, USB power socket, etc. This, and an electronic ignition conversion would just make the bike easier to live with on a day to day basis.

From the research I've done, I would need a new stator and reg/rec to change to 12v. The new stator would have a pickup for an ignition timing signal for the CDI unit too, so goes hand in hand with conversion from points to CDI, so I would assume I need to fit a CDI flywheel too. I would need a new loom as well, which I could get off a later CDI CG125. The current loom is butchered anyway, one of the POs used twin and earth to 'repair' it. :roll: Anything to stay on the road I guess.

Is it really that 'simple' (replace with newer CG125 parts) or am I missing something? Would I be able to mount the 12v stator in the original engine casing? Do I need to make a custom bracket for that or can I modify the stator to fit? Does a CDI flywheel fit a points crank ok? Do I need to get anything machined?

I'm still very much in the planning stages at the moment, but want to start collecting parts when I see them become available, and also to make sure the idea is viable. Thanks! :)

Morning Julianl hope all is well, I am currently in the process of purchasing a '93 CG125, I am looking to upgrade to 12 volts as well, I have down loaded the PDF of information you put up, but I was wondering how well it went and if you managed to get the parts nice and easy?

Many thanks Elly