Which washer

Topbanana0

doing a coolant change on my speed triple, I've got a load of copper washers, and want to replace the coolant drain plug washer with one if these.

It looks like the original washer is alloy, would this matter? Chemical reaction to the metal of the engine block maybe?

doing a coolant change on my speed triple, I've got a load of copper washers, and want to replace the coolant drain plug washer with one if these.

It looks like the original washer is alloy, would this matter? Chemical reaction to the metal of the engine block maybe?

No , I wouldn't worry , I've got copper washers on various parts of my ER5 engine as standard . These include the oil feeds and coolant drain . Alloy was probably a penny cheaper .

There's an ally washer there for a reason. If you put copper there, make sure you wash any salt off in winter or you'll lose your oil.

Tell us why

Because copper has terrible anti corrosion properties in salt water.

Copper is one of the most prone to oxidisation and corrosion with salt, clamped between 2 surfaces though it's only the edge that's exposed and unless your planning on riding it through the dead Sea for the next 10 years its will be fine.

I have used copper washers on sumps for years I have never had one corroded yet, I have had an alloy one with a rubber seal split.

Copper is an excellent metal for sealing 2 parts, it's soft enough to take up minor deviations and rough surfaces, it distributes heat evenly and takes large clamping forces, if it's OK to use a copper cylinder head gasket on a performance car I'm sure your washer is going to be fine.

There's an ally washer there for a reason. If you put copper there, make sure you wash any salt off in winter or you'll lose your oil.

Tell us why

Because copper has terrible anti corrosion properties in salt water.

That's interesting, that's why I asked the original question.....always happy to learn something :thumb:

One wonder why the Royal Navy used copper to coat the bottom of wooden sailing ships in copper if it is prone to salt water corrosion?

They did it to prevent worms burrowing into the hull of course. But several of my older boats had copper hull parts to protect vulnerable edges of the hull.

Hence the phrase....copper bottomed....meaning of good quality.

Of course, back then their choice of metal soft enough to make into sheets that could be shaped to a hull were somewhat limited so I guess copper lasted long enough to outlive the wood of the hull.

One wonder why the Royal Navy used copper to coat the bottom of wooden sailing ships in copper if it is prone to salt water corrosion?

They did it to prevent worms burrowing into the hull of course. But several of my older boats had copper hull parts to protect vulnerable edges of the hull.

Hence the phrase....copper bottomed....meaning of good quality.

Of course, back then their choice of metal soft enough to make into sheets that could be shaped to a hull were somewhat limited so I guess copper lasted long enough to outlive the wood of the hull.

Not sure if its along the same lines but boats also stick lumps of zinc as it attracts the corrosion. Protecting the hull from said corrosion. Doesnt even need a full coating just blocks at intervals is enough.

Copper hull made them quicker too

Very true. It inhibited growth on the underside. However that also made the punishment of keelhauling less effective.

Ohhh that's good to hear, a smooth keel hauling