Dead battery advice

learningtofly

I was fitting a new (louder) horn to my Street Triple yesterday and this morning I couldn't find my keys. Sure enough I'd left them in the barrel and - unfortunately - the ignition was on!

I've tried bumping the bike and have been unable to get much of a response from the engine. Having nearly killed myself getting the bloody thing back home I'm intending to call out the RAC to jump start it. Is there any reason I shouldn't do that?

Edit: Alternatively, would I be better off popping over to Halfords and picking up a smart charger (and do they just plug into the mains supply in the house)?

Edited by learningtofly

Moved to the right section :wink:

Unfortunately you need to charge it fully as you may find the bike may not fully charge the battery!

The only way to do that is to connect it to a charger!

Moved to the right section :wink:

Unfortunately you need to charge it fully as you may find the bike may not fully charge the battery!

Thanks Stu - I did just edit my post and I think you've answered the question whilst I was doing so.

Presumably I can just plug it in inside the house using an extension cable?

Maintenance charges normally come with a lead you can leave connected to the bike and just plug the charger in as and when needed so if you can get an extension to it then yes thats a solution

The halfords ones have the permanent lead https://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-battery-chargers-accessories/g3500-3-5a-noco-smart-charger

Guest Richzx6r

I use a cheaper version of that which I got from halford's, just put the wires on the battery and stow the plug in end under my rear seat for when I leave the bike for over a week or so.

Also if your battery is dead dead it could be knackered but you may be lucky and be able to recover it with a charge

Maintenance charges normally come with a lead you can leave connected to the bike and just plug the charger in as and when needed so if you can get an extension to it then yes thats a solution

The halfords ones have the permanent lead https://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-battery-chargers-accessories/g3500-3-5a-noco-smart-charger

That's the one I have put aside - collecting it in the morning. So, to be clear... extension lead into mains plug in kitchen > charger into extension lead > grabby things on battery terminals?

Also, will anything on the bike need resetting?

That's the one I have put aside - collecting it in the morning. So, to be clear... extension lead into mains plug in kitchen > charger into extension lead > grabby things on battery terminals?

Also, will anything on the bike need resetting?

you will have a lead in the box that you can attach to the battery terminals and leave it attached use this instead of the crocodile clips :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

The clock and the trip will reset with the battery being dead, does it have an alarm?

No, but presumably it'll retain the mileage on the odometer?

Yea odo will remain just the trip will reset

Guest Richzx6r

Generally when does bump starting work?

It used to work very well but nowadays be it that we are getting too old or the newer bikes are harder to start it generally doesn't work too much

Generally when does bump starting work?

When you have enough power in the battery to produce a spark and keep the rest of the electrics going!

Generally if you have dash lights you usually have enough power to bump start it becomes an issue for the started as that sapps all the power from everything else.

If I had a flat ish battery and I tried turning it over and it failed but I had dash lights then I would be looking for a bump start rather than trying and trying which would leave you with a totally flat battery and not enough power to bump it!

Also there's not a cat in hells chance of me pushing mine to bump it :lol:

The clock and the trip will reset with the battery being dead, does it have an alarm?

No, but presumably it'll retain the mileage on the odometer?

Yea odo will remain just the trip will reset

That’s a relief - thank you.

Where is the battery on the street on my triple it’s under the tank , have to raise tank to get at it , which seems a stupid place to put it .

Where is the battery on the street on my triple it’s under the tank , have to raise tank to get at it , which seems a stupid place to put it .

Same on that Aprilia of mine . It's right at the front behind the headstock but the tank is hinged with a little prop to hold it up .

Mine's behind the left side panel, 3 screws and it's off :thumb: , also got room to fit a 12v aux socket, i can also feel an inverter being fitted somewhere too :cheers:

I was fitting a new (louder) horn to my Street Triple yesterday and this morning I couldn't find my keys. Sure enough I'd left them in the barrel and - unfortunately - the ignition was on!

I've tried bumping the bike and have been unable to get much of a response from the engine. Having nearly killed myself getting the bloody thing back home I'm intending to call out the RAC to jump start it. Is there any reason I shouldn't do that?

Edit: Alternatively, would I be better off popping over to Halfords and picking up a smart charger (and do they just plug into the mains supply in the house)?

If you're penny pincher like me you could get a smart maintenance charger for half the price at Machine Mart and then just solder on a generic two pin connector . Like I've just done . Here you go , I bought two connectors one half of one is in my bike which had an Optimate lead that I just snipped the end off . The other connector will go in series with the crocodile clips so that I can plug into my bike or re attached them when needed . I've never thought much of Optimate chargers because I used to sell them . The rep would credit the shop every time we had a box of twenty or so knackered ones .

PhotoEditor_20190505_211952320.thumb.jpg.771a6ed2dabb121cc58c8c57a019e591.jpg

Edited by fastbob

Mine is under the riders seat in a little box tray

Yes, mines under the seat too - I just need to remove one bolt and the seat can be removed.

Thank you, [mention]fastbob[/mention] - I need to get it sorted early doors tomorrow as I’m in Newcastle for work for most of the week and I want it charged and tested before I go. I might have given it a go, otherwise.

Guest Richzx6r

Yes, mines under the seat too - I just need to remove one bolt and the seat can be removed.

Thank you, @fastbob - I need to get it sorted early doors tomorrow as I’m in Newcastle for work for most of the week and I want it charged and tested before I go. I might have given it a go, otherwise.

When you getting to Newcastle? I'm in Sunderland and bender is in Newcastle so maybe if you are free will have to meet up for a few beers?

Sorry What? Cars get jump-started all the time when the leave their lights on. Now:- flattening the battery is not good for it, but the bike has an alternator. It might only put out about 5 Amps and your battery might be a 10 Amp hour battery, but of course it charges. Its just not magic. Do the maths. A 5A alternator takes 2 hour of completely charge a 10 Amp/hour battery.

Thank you, @fastbob - I need to get it sorted early doors tomorrow as I’m in Newcastle for work for most of the week and I want it charged and tested before I go. I might have given it a go, otherwise.

When you getting to Newcastle? I'm in Sunderland and bender is in Newcastle so maybe if you are free will have to meet up for a few beers?

I’m up there three days a week for the next 6 weeks or so (I’ve already done 4). Happy to meet up for a beer - I’m usually on an early train on Wednesday, heading back south on Friday evening.