A chain oil thread.

Pbassred

Having transferred over from man-powered cycling last year I'm a little surprised that chain oil isn't a big deal. In cycling its a REALLY big deal. Anyway Ryan F9 dropped a chain lube comparison recently and made the observation that in modern O-ring chains, the lubrication is internal. The lubricant is mostly for anti corrosion. In cycling they are really concerned with dirt pickup since it makes an abrasive paste, so they want a thin coat of light oil ( not sticky). Why aren't motor cycle chains thought about the same way? a really thin coat of light oil that is just enough to fight corrosion but not enough to fly off.

I'm inclined to mix gear oil with paraffin. Goes on easy and leaves a coating behind when the paraffin evaporates away. also less to clean off (with paraffin).

thoughts?

I would avoid putting paraffin on an O Ring chain - it can eat the O Rings.

As for oil, yes it can be very effective. The main purpose of lubing an O Ring / X Ring chain is to prevent corrosion and keep the seals from drying out. Oil is ideal for that.

The downside of oil is that it gets flung off (motorcycle chains are subject to more load and move faster than cycle ones), gets washed off in the rain and can end up where you don't want it (like on the rear tyre) hence the popularity of sticky spray lubes.

Not that it matters much: In over 30 years I've only replaced one chain. Modern chains last tens of thousands of miles with the occasional blast of spray lube.

So it's probably not worth over thinking this.

I would avoid putting paraffin on an O Ring chain - it can eat the O Rings
Revzilla recommends Kerosene for chains. Not much difference.

I would avoid putting paraffin on an O Ring chain - it can eat the O Rings
Revzilla recommends Kerosene for chains. Not much difference.

Revzilla recommends everything they can sell.

I switched to gear oil after I popped a new chain and sprocket set on my bike, and I have to say it's absolutely spot on. I need to learn how to apply a little less as I slightly overdid it the first couple of times. However, there's not even a hint of corrosion after many weeks, and it doesn't seem to be picking up a great deal of dirt.

I certainly won't be switching back to lube.

I'm inclined to mix gear oil with paraffin. Goes on easy and leaves a coating behind when the paraffin evaporates away. also less to clean off (with paraffin).

Is that what Honda are telling you to do? because its not what they are telling me to do for the chain, in my owners manual.

Use your (O ring friendly) chain cleaner of choice.. or use a neutral detergent. I've read what it said in the owners manual as well as the Haynes and use Paraffin.

To lube the chain use either a chain lube designed for O ring chains. or use 80w90 gear oil.

I see nothing in the manual about blending paraffin and gear oil. (its going to run everywhere) And paraffin is not as volatile as you seem to think. it just isn't. (which is why its fine with O ring chains)

Gear oil doesn't fling off unless you use too much and its more likely to drip all over the floor. i should know, I use it. and not a drop on the back wheel of my bike. I use a paint brush to apply it and it doesnt take much. very little in fact. Couple of teaspoons-worth max. if you see a drip forming then you are using too much.

Best done after a ride when the chain is warm and leave it overnight.

Two photos. what I use and the results.

Stuff.thumb.JPG.0284ab42f8cb1f2151cf62ccef38197b.JPGChain.thumb.JPG.e2bc1276fffb4fa4f3632b0755120ab1.JPG

2000 miles on the chain. Bike lives outside and has been ridden weekly since November. not a sign of rust.

My regime for chain is; paraffin for cleaning every 400ish miles (don't light up a fag when doing this because insurance company may take a dim view). Muc-off dry film lube applied lightly every 80 to 100 miles or so. Chain and sprocket always in good nick.

I spray with dry wax, use the same on my push bike. Simple, clean, no rust and no grit pick up.

In response to the OP, there have been many threads about chain lube and everyone has their own way of doing it. It is widely and sometimes hotly debated!

I haven't cleaned mine yet, only done 70km, but i have got some chain cleaner one of them brushes and some banana scented dry lube, didn't know it was flavoured till i got home and read the instructions :lol:

I haven't cleaned mine yet, only done 70km, but i have got some chain cleaner one of them brushes and some banana scented dry lube, didn't know it was flavoured till i got home and read the instructions :lol:

Scented, not flavoured - don't eat it!

probably will be chased down the road by some hungry dogs with the fragrance :lol: :lol:

Hmmm, could have a ride to the Wildlife park, that'll get the primates going ape :lol: :twisted:

Pretty much, what Gerontious said (wrote) 😀

Look up "the workshop" on YouTube.

The channel's run by a guy who is an engineer and a biker, and into all things mechanical.

He uses and recommends using 2stroke gear oil cos it's thick and won't fling. And has been said, only a small amount needed, apply with a small brush/ tooth brush.

By the way, kerosene is basically paraffin but more expensive. And it evaporates quite slowly - if you use it for cleaning make sure you allow time for the chain to dry before lubing.

So, We mostly like Gear oil (its in the manual). We mostly clean with paraffin (kerosene is very similar).

The reason why I was suggesting mixing paraffin with the oil is very old school:- When I was an apprentice (in the 70s :shock: ), we used to preserve metal parts like that. It creeps everywhere. You only need a thin film since its not actually lubricating.

Then again, if you cleaned your chain in paraffin, you just mixed it into the oil, so that's probably enough. The plus side is that you haven't drenched your de-greased chain in water.

It seems that I stand corrected re paraffin! :mrgreen:

I remain wary of it though - I used to use it for parts cleaning and found that it could adversely affect some seals.

But maybe chain O Rings are different.

But maybe chain O Rings are different.
Different rubbers have different properties. One would HOPE that a chain made for bikes would be petrochemical resistant, but then we live in a world of Chinese assembly. Who knows if they are following a standard!

• 4 months later...

I should really clean my chain more (all weather use) but the chain wax I use can be difficult to remove so thanks for the tips. A biker once told me just to de link it and drop it in petrol overnight, I've never risked it but would that work and not damage o-rings? I currently use wurth brake cleaner on it, found that and a toothbrush gets most the wax off fairly easily but I might now consider using light oil and paraffin as described above. Probably watch the thread a bit longer first tho before taking the leap into the unknown :cheers:

I would never use petrol. firstly theres a risk as its so highly flammable and is it safe with O rings? Thats likely a question thats never been tested as there are so many much better solvents that are cheaper and less dangerous. It possibly dates back to that time when chains did not have O rings and cleaners could be as hash as you like. Its not worth taking the risk in either case.

Use either a specific cleaner designed for O ring chains. or paraffin.

and get one of these brushes. as they make the task very simple and fast.

s-l1600-1.thumb.jpg.989bbce8b6bbf6a60056196a22470fce.jpg

So having for many years used Wurths spray wax I needed a new tin and the remembered I have lots of gear oil from various classic cars I've rebuilt over the years. So I have tried that and I have to say I am converted. Very pleased with the lack of mess, durability and absence of grit on the chain.

I was given a TIROX chain brush to try (see picture) its brilliant once you get the hang of getting it onto the chain, I clean the chain with Paraffin, don't use petrol, it'll destroy "O" rings... I use MOTUL Chain wax for lubrication, easy to apply and so far seems to stay where it supposed to "on the chain"

[attachment=0]s-l1600.jpg[/attachment]

Honestly I think that cleaning and lubing motorcycle chain is more advertised so people will spend their money on products than what you will benefit out of it.

When we were kids we never cleaned or lubed chains, rarely had to replace chain and sprockets, Ok smaller bikes 125 cc, 250 cc

How much money we throw on all this products, it will be cheaper and easier every few years just to replace chain and sprocket.

Don’t get me wrong I do clean it and lube it but just because I like to get dirty and it is good excuse to spend afternoon in the garage.

I was given a TIROX chain brush to try (see picture) its brilliant once you get the hang of getting it onto the chain, I clean the chain with Paraffin, don't use petrol, it'll destroy "O" rings... I use MOTUL Chain wax for lubrication, easy to apply and so far seems to stay where it supposed to "on the chain"

s-l1600.jpg

I use Motul chain wax (c4) too, I find it ends up all over the swing arm tho and gets lots of road grime etc stuck to it in no time. I've tried a couple of other brands but found them harder to apply or not last as long etc... Only reason I started using this is because the dealership recommended it but on a 125 I'm thinking perhaps a lube formulated for racing is a bit overkill? Tbh I don't clean the bike enough so maybe my fault there's so much grime