Gear shifting sometimes not working

workpeter

Lately my bike has been acting up.

In the morning ill get on, go into 1st then 2nd gear no problem, but then when i attempt to shift into third gear there is no resistence against my left foot from the shifter when i nudge up. Normally id expect a small residence then a click indicating a succesful gear change.

I thought maybe the clutch plates were sticking lately due to it being warmer air temp?

The problem does eventually go away, but returns each morning.

Thoughts?

slipping into 3rd gear without resistance is not a sign of sticking clutch plates. if they were sticking it would be slightly harder to change gear. it's more likely you have a worn selector or groove that it slots into.

Yep, what Billy said. Definitely selector or dog issues rather than clutch.

Also, make sure your chain tension is correct - I've had bikes that throw up weird gear change anomalies if the chain is too slack/tight. I have no idea why though.

slipping into 3rd gear without resistance is not a sign of sticking clutch plates. if they were sticking it would be slightly harder to change gear. it's more likely you have a worn selector or groove that it slots into.

Thanks for advise billy. Its not slipping into third though, it stays in 2nd. And cant go higher. I find that if i quickly open and close the throttle a few times it temp solves the issue. I know the issue is solved because there is residence again when i apply upward pressure in the foot change lever.

Do you still reckon its a worn selector/slots?

The slack chain comment is interesting, ive been meaning to tighten my chain now for a few weeks as its defo slack

Is the gear peg not returning to its usual position ok? If it's sticking then after selecting 2nd then it's possibly not dropping back down quite enough. If it clears as the bike warms up it might just need a bit of cleaning and lubricating.

Try pushing it down very gently when you're in 2nd then go for third. See what happens.

Thanks for advise billy. Its not slipping into third though, it stays in 2nd. And cant go higher. I find that if i quickly open and close the throttle a few times it temp solves the issue. I know the issue is solved because there is residence again when i apply upward pressure in the foot change lever.

Do you still reckon its a worn selector/slots?

The slack chain comment is interesting, ive been meaning to tighten my chain now for a few weeks as its defo slack

the chain tension helps with the backlash in the gears ( pressure) which aides the transmission so adjust this first ...as a chain warms up it gets longer so loses the pressure required

edited as i started onething and went off on another train