Poorly Kawasaki GT 550

Stewky

Morning. Does anyone have any ideas as to why my Kawasaki gt550 1989 may have decided to stop working. The other day the bike started to run on 2 cylinders so I turned the bike off. When I tried to restart the bike absolutely nothing. Only think working was the neutral light. No brake lights horn indicators nothing at all? When I purchased the bike off eBay last week it came with a couple of old cdi units in a box. Could they be the cause? Any suggestions would be more than welcome. The battery is reading 12.5 volts across the terminals with my fluke. Thanks.

First thing is that battery voltage of itself doesn't mean it's holding charge. Check the voltage with a bit of load, like a headlamp bulb across it.

Next thing I'd check is the fuses. Check power from the battery to the fuse holder and then on the other side. If everything is dead there's likely to be a reason early on in the system.

No chance of checking with the vendor?

Which 2 cylinders were working / not working ? Spare CDI units ? I don't like the sound of that . As mentioned try to get the seller to come clean about any previous issues. Check the battery connections and earth wire then pop open any multi pin connectors you can find and look for melting , burning or green shit . Clean and repair accordingly . You never know , it might be something simple . Good luck.

Just seen that you have two threads going at once about this - and in the other thread you mention that the loom has been hacked around by previous owners, of which there have been many. I suspect you've already identified the issue. A bodged wiring loom is a recipe for all sorts of fun and games. You might be best seeing if you can source a replacement loom from a breakers.

Nothing on eBay . Why not have a look at the small wires to the coil that's associated with the two dead cylinders ( if that is the case ) I had a similar problem on a Z1000ST that turned out to be s crispy coil wire . Try making a dummy wire up with a couple of crocodile clips and use it to substitute the suspect wires . You never know , you might get lucky .