nice place for a brake hose

Doofa57

I applied my rear brake a bit hard and it bottomed out. No stopping power apart from the front so i hod a look and found this. The chain guide is not in place it i held in by a bolt at the back a a rubber bung thing at the front. so now i need to take the hose off get a new one. I am not looking forward to is beading the brakes. the brakes are the Combi Brake System so i haven't done this system before.

InkedIMG_20190724_155559_LI.thumb.jpg.ed105193d24d9e2c9dd8909beacecdb8.jpg

InkedIMG_20190724_155612_LI.thumb.jpg.50a00c00e7c45dae783dce3fdcf06432.jpg

So I have replaced the hose with a new one. My new problem is the bike is fitted with combination brake system and ther is 3 nipples for the rear brake. 1 on the rear caliper 1 on a junction type box then 1 on the front brake. I haven't even attempt to bleed them yet I am sure ther must be a order to do them. time for some research

I've only ever bled non ABS systems. If it has ABS don't you need diagnostic kit to open the valves in the ABS unit?

I wouldn't have thought it's going to be ABS on a Keeway but it is probably a linked system. I've seen a linked braking system on a Lexmoto that I helped someone with and it wasn't pretty . I'm sure the front came on when you operated the rear ( !? ) I wouldn't know where to start bleeding such a system to be honest .https://www.speedwaymotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/street/keewayrksgry/

Edited by fastbob

I've only ever bled non ABS systems. If it has ABS don't you need diagnostic kit to open the valves in the ABS unit?

I wouldn't have thought it's going to be ABS on a Keeway but it is probably a linked system. I've seen a linked braking system on a Lexmoto that I helped someone with and it wasn't pretty . I'm sure the front came on when you operated the rear ( !? ) I wouldn't know where to start bleeding such a system to be honest .https://www.speedwaymotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/street/keewayrksgry/

My phone doesn’t show that detail. But it seems a rather silly arrangement and unnecessarily complex for that kind of bike.

My phone doesn’t show that detail. But it seems a rather silly arrangement and unnecessarily complex for that kind of bike.

That's what I thought when I worked on the Lexmoto Falcon but there it is . I've checked the specs by the way and this bike also has it . Thinking about it , it's lucky the entire system didn't fail . There must be a fail safe built in . On the subject of the Lexmoto , I didn't want to hurt the guy's feelings but what a joke . Essentially a rip off CBR 125 but with the same old air cooled CG based engine bunged in with some crude steel strap brackets hanging from the fake ally beam frame . Horrible !

Oops....but who in their right mind would route the brake line there, unless they have engineered it to fail

Engineered to kill more like .

the front calipers have 3 pistons 2 are operated from the front brake lever. the rear foot peddle operates the other front piston and the rear brake as normal. i think all eruro4 bikes have to have ABS or CBS.

So I have replaced the hose with a new one. My new problem is the bike is fitted with combination brake system and ther is 3 nipples for the rear brake. 1 on the rear caliper 1 on a junction type box then 1 on the front brake. I haven't even attempt to bleed them yet I am sure ther must be a order to do them. time for some research

Do a bit of research, but you would normally bleed the nipple that's farthest away from the brake reservoir, first and work back to reservoir.

As for bleeding abs brakes, you can just do it as normal. Only need special equipment if you get air in abs system.

Do a bit of research, but you would normally bleed the nipple that's farthest away from the brake reservoir, first and work back to reservoir.

As for bleeding abs brakes, you can just do it as normal. Only need special equipment if you get air in abs system.

Luckily this isn't ABS.